Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about tie rod end size. On my 62 it was 5/8. It was all factory parts and had never been changed before I removed them. On my parts car they are 11/16 thread. Both cars are factory power steering equipped cars and look identical. Did Ford make both in 62? Maybe one had some parts from a prior year? I am rebuilding a factory setup using the parts off of my parts car and they are all 11/16 which seems to be more common.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where it goes into the adjusting sleeve. I realized something was different when you said you used the 78 Thunderbird ends on your car. They would not fit my original sleeves when I swapped them years ago. I wish I still had the original parts off of my car as there might have been part numbers on them.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I can't imagine that they used two different sizes. I have replaced several inner and outer tie rod ends on 62 full size fords and they have all been the same size diameter, both manual and power. The outer tie rod ends are the same for manual and power steering cars, and the inners are different between manual and power steering cars, but the diameters are the same for all of them. My guess is that the one that wouldn't fit the Thunderbird tie rods is incorrect.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now I am wondering what had been changed on my car. It will all be 11/16 this time. It seems it should have been the whole time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts