Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting close to having my gal back on the road but after reading about all the problems with bad gas I thought why not check the tank.

Glad I did.

This thing was an accident waiting to happen. Multiple dents, two thru and thru rust holes and lots of junk/rust in the tank. Not to mention the custom strap.

So it looks like its gonna be a new one. I'm looking at a F47A from spectra. Anybody bought/installed one of the ones on ebay? Any preference on manufacturer? Looks like the ones on rockauto are the the same as the ones on ebay.

I really dont want to replace this again so is there any preventative steps to take prior to install? Should I seal and paint it?

check out this shot of my current tank

Attachments

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I used the spectra tank and had no problems with it. I had to use the old straps though, the ones that came with it were too short and be careful with your fuel neck they're a pain to find in good shape if you have to replace it. My kit came with a new stainless steel sending unit too. A must when the original tank goes. I replaced everything fuel related just to keep my new carb safe from the horror that I found in the old tank.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the input, i'm going to order one today. My filler neck is good and the rubber seal for the neck looks new so I'm ok there. Did you use a tank liner on yours prior to install?
I started looking for straps as there is no way I'm putting the tie down back on it.

thank you
Ben

·
Registered
186 Posts
I replaced mine from dearborne. Like sardog i went ahead and ordered new sending unit and new fuel line. No need to send junk into new carb or waste time cleaning. It made me feel good to do it from front to back. I did have to reuse my filler neck. My neck gasket was toast but was able to get the ford dealership to order me one. Those could become hard to find. for less than 20 bucks you might want to just see if you can get your hand on one before that one goes bad and you are in a bad spot. I too reused the straps but I think dearborne had them. My tank had about 8 gallons of really bad gas. After emptying it I noticed that the bottom of the tank had two holes the size of a silver dollar. I looked inside and stuck a stick in the hole to find enough tar to keep the hole plugged. Gas from 1987. I can still smell it.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
My kit came with a new neck seal and I've got an extra seal and nut for the sending unit. It came with straps too but they were for a different Ford fitment and were way short. You will have to carefully bend the seam lip on the bottom where the straps cross the tanks, it needs to be flat and instead is a 1" lip all the way around the tank. I also used large heat shrink tube to place the rubber anti-squeak straps between the tank and strap. All in all a great upgrade just don't skimp on lines, filters and replace or clean out the pump. Best of luck buddy!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
BTW : If you find a source for new straps, please post a link. Mine look pretty good with the paint job and shrink tube holding the rubber in place, but I would like a new set.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

1 - 8 of 8 Posts