Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey im cleaning up my engine in my truck and im about to install a new water pump.

would it be wise to take the timing chain cover off? do timing chains or covers/gaskets need replacing that often? ive never replaced one in all of my cars.

i see no reason too, except for checking the timing chain and the gasket looks warn. under the valve cover and intake manifold looks clean, which gives reason to assume the timing chain is fine. this engine has been rebuilt not to long ago, by the looks of it.

generic/vague question lol but any info from u guys would be appreciated.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I would coat the long bolt shanks with anti-seize compound.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
My car has an FE engine, and, I've owned it since 1969.

I have changed water pumps a few times, but, I've never bothered with anything else.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

·
Registered
337 Posts
I can't believe the plastic hasn't fallen off of the cam gear!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I would, for the sole purpose of making sure that the bolts come out now. If they snap now from being old/corroded, better to fix it now than later on when you need to remove the cover at another date. Plus a good time to check to make things inside look the way you should. Of course the last time I used this mentality, my thermostat housing bolts snapped, and I cracked the housing, just for the sake of changing out the thermostat while I had the system drained. So I guess it boils down to your luck and how lucky are you feeling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts