Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I am replacing the timing cover gaskets on my 331 due to a water leak. I was just about to put it together when I noticed that my timing chain seemed maybe a little too loose. The engine has around 21k miles on it. What do you guys think? In the video, I only show one side, as the other side is perfectly tight. So, it's only one side that is like this. This is a Comp Cams Hi-Tech Roller setup.

Ford 331 timing chain - YouTube

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
I'll bet your stretch is less than half a degree.

Furthermore, ALL new timing sets are TIGHT... Even rollers chains stretch and eventually wear the teeth as you operate the engine and will show a little slack, yours might seem excessive to you, but it would be 100% impossible for that chain to jump time.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
I would agree on that point. If it's that loose after 21k (and most are not), I'd hate to see it after 42k. Already apart for other stuff, I'd change it. A quick check of idle timing jitter could be convincing. BTW - those chains are under $20, so it's not a deal breaker, though a higher quality chain or a link-belt set would likely last much longer. Also, verify alignment, and check your sprocket teeth for wear while you're in there. You should find nothing but polishing.

David

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep... Not that I doubted you guys, but I called Comp Cams and they said it was too loose. It was only $20 for a new chain, so why not! Just more down time, which I'm used to with this car... Of course, it is a daily driver so it is allowed to be a little temperamental.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Yep... Not that I doubted you guys, but I called Comp Cams and they said it was too loose. It was only $20 for a new chain, so why not! Just more down time, which I'm used to with this car... Of course, it is a daily driver so it is allowed to be a little temperamental.
there a manufacture name on the chain? name will be on the side of a link .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts