Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys help me out here.
I have a 67 mustang with a 289. Well had, just pulled it last week.
I have a brand new 302/345hp crate motor from ford.
My timing cover from my 67 has the oil dipstick tube and cast in timing pointer at 2 o'clock postion.

My new crate motor timing cover has bolt on timing pointer at 10 o'clock position and no provision for oil dipstick tube. (well it might have a hole I can knock out??)

So my quesiton is, can I use the new timing cover? What do I do about the timing pointer? do they make timing pointers that bolt to the 2 o'clock position? or could i use the 10 o'clock position with a different dampner?

Any other differences in these timing covers. I can use my old one but its a little beat up in the water passages, looks like the coolant over the last 40yrs ate it up pretty good.

·
Registered
279 Posts
is it the gt 40 crate motor? if so, the pan has a dipstick hole in the side of it.....i thought....

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Either cover should work.You will need the one that works with whatever damper your using.Is this engine 28 or 50 oz balanced?.If its 50 you can't use your old 289 balancer..Also does the new one have a spot for the fuel pump? (if your using a mechanical one)...Your water pump will also have to have the rad hose on the proper side so you can read the timing marks..Of course the water pump outlet must be on the same side as your radiator....

J-code 306 [email protected] build underway

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 11/9/06 6:26am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
I did the same thing and used my old timing cover to use the old style water pump and keep the dipstick in the front of the motor. BE SURE TO PLUG THE DIPSTICK HOLE ON THE DRIVERS SIDE OF THE BLOCK if you do not use it. I didnt and sondered why I always would leak oil at high rpm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts