Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this page. I have a 302w out of a 1969 galaxy 500, I have swapped it into a bullnose ford and swapped oil pan and oil pick-up tube for work with my chassis. Anyways I'm having a problem where I set my timing tdc on #1 cylinder on compression stroke, both my rockers are loose, my balancer shows 0 degrees. I go to start motor and it fires, but then it stops firing, I find tdc once again and my distributor is 180 degrees off now pointing at #6, I have also tried 2 Distibutors. I checked teeth on the cam and they all looked good, all my sheer pins I can easily access are good. I have messed with it for a while now and can't figure it out. The engine ran for about 100 miles then it started doing this. Some background info is that it is bored 30 over, not sure how long it sat, I redid most of the gaskets. Has brad new carb, new distributor, new coil. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have power when I'm supposed to, I have amazing spark, the dizzy just keeps falling 180 degrees out of time when it it fires. If you crank it without power to the coil and dizzy it never falls out, but when you give power to coil and dizzy and the motor fires it falls out of time.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Do you have the old fashioned distributor with points and clips that hold the cap onto the base?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, I have the old style with points and a external coil, its the quote-on-quote oem one from Oreilly's. Some more info, it seems like the distributor is jumping the teeth on the cam, I inspected all teeth on cam and dizzy and they are all good. Is it possible that the gear on the cam is slipping? Is it possible i have a broke key on the timing chain or the chain is slipping?

·
Registered
460 Posts
there is a roll pin that holds the gear onto the distributor shaft. look there. but, its possible the pin on the cam gear is sheared or it jumped time. sounds like its time to pull the timing cover and verify what's going on under there since its doing it with 2 different distributors .

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yup, sounds like I’m pulling that cover off, if I have to pull my cam do I need a cam puller or is there a way around it?
If you have to pull the camshaft, you’ll need to take off the intake manifold, remove your rockers and pushrods, and get the lifters out first. Hopefully it does not come to that. I’m guessing the timing set is just junk. The old ones actually had nylon teeth for “quiet operation”, but you can imagine how easy those were to break over many years of use and age.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Any theory on why the distributor turns 180° only when the coil is plugged in?

·
Registered
26 Posts
So... Your distributor only turns 180 deg to one rotation, 360 deg, of the crankshaft. Another 360 deg of the crankshaft will put your distributor back to the #1 position. What you are seeing when it is pointing to the #6 is the #1 piston is at the top of the exhaust stroke. All is working fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I havent been home recently, when I get home I will remove that pin and check it, but I grabbed it with two pairs of channel locked with rags over it and was not able to spin it on the shaft, but the thing is it did it with two different distributors in it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pull #1 spark plug. Bump engine with remote starter switch with your opposing thumb over the hole in the head. When the piston starts pushing air out around your thumb, stop. Turn crankshaft clockwise with toolbar until TDC on harmonic damper lines up with the pointer on the timing chain cover. This is TDC on compression stroke. Line up distributor rotor cap to #1 on distributor cap. You're ready to fire it off.

I've wrenched and built a few FoMoCo engines in last 45 years. I've goofed and had timing out 180 degrees a couple times, had to recheck. No biggie.

Joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That’s what I have done every time I set it, spin the motor until compressions stroke, set dizzy pointing at #1, I go to fire it up it spitter and sputters then backfires, so I fine Tdc on number 1 on compression stroke again and the dizzy is 180 degrees off. I have tried 2 distributors, reset timing 15 times figuring this out, I’ve never had trouble setting trouble in past.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts