Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i know that this is probably a really dumb question but i really need to know....

I found a timing light at a yard sale with a nob at the back to adjust something. The timing light is brand new and i think the guy was selling it because he really didn't know how to use it. I know that it probably has something to do with how high the timing goes up but i just need it to adjust the timing on my '70 302. What should i set the nob at? I've seen a lot of timing lights without any nobs at the back....what is it for?

·
Registered
660 Posts
The knob is most likely to set the timing advance. If you want to set initial timing you want it at 0 to use the advance numbers on the balancer.

If you want to see where your timing curve hits 30 deg of advance... set it at 30 degrees and rev the engine till your timing light shines on TDC-0 deg. Take a look at the RPM and walla!

Hope that makes sense!

·
Registered
314 Posts
The knob is to be able to set the timing advance exactly where you want it.

Say you want 36° total timing. Connect the timing light, loosen the ditributor. Rev the engine to the point where timing is fully advanced. Say 3000 or so. With the knob at zero the light will show the 36° on the damper. Turn the knob to 36° and it will show the 0° mark on the damper. Two reasons for this. Most of the time the 0° is far easier to see than any other mark, like the 36° mark also some dampers are not marked after 30° or 35°.

If the light works and it's a good buy get it.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Nother timing light question. Always have a problem setting the timing with this duraspark dizzy. Why? It starts jumping around after 2000rpm. Anyway to fix it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts