Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using a late model 302 with a factory 50oz. balancer and a 65 timing cover. The problem is the timing pointer. It is on the opposite side of the engine, making it impossible to tell the timing. How can I fix this, I have msd timing tape. Also, what size is a late model balancer? Thanks.

·
Registered
660 Posts
That's funny (well not really), I have the opposite problem... I have a 74 timing cover on my 65 289 and am trying to figure out what to do about the timing mark.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The most accurate method is to use a tdc indicator (made out of a old plug and center punched out and quarter inch rod welded to hit top of piston) using tool find exact tdc and then fashon new pointer of anything you like. Doing this you are positive the mark is exact. correct.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I also have an 85 302, with a 68 timing cover. I had a hell of a time starting the thing, because i put the distributor in on TDC #1, but using the marks on the 85 dampener and the pointer on the 68 cover! what a mess. live and learn. After doing the thumb feel on the plug hole thing, i got it close. then i bought tape and degreed the balancer. To answer you question, on the old covers, the timing pointer is bolted on the cover itself, on the drivers side of the cover. so just degree the balancer using that pointer as opposed to the 5.0 one which is on the passengers side. good luck!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I used my 78 302 timing cover on my 94 351W with the 351 damper.
Both the 302 and 351 dampers have 4 pulley bolt holes and are the same diameter.
I aligned the keyways of the 2 dampers and used 2 long 1/4-20 bolts and threaded the bolts through one damper and into the other.
This held them in pretty close alignment.
Then I used a square to transfer the marks from the 302 damper to the 351 damper and put the new timing marks on with letter and number punch dies.
It may not be exact but its close enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts