Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I replaced the 352 with 390 from a truck, I also replaced the timing cover - and the pointer that was attached to it. The original had a higher and longer pointer I think because the car has extra pulleys for AC and PS. The pointer that is on the car now is too short reach the timing mark, so it is near useless in trying to time the engine.

About the only thing I can think of is gluing on an extension that would bring the pointer closer to the marked pulley, maybe close enough to see it with the timing light. I wonder though if that would give me the right time?

·
Registered
138 Posts
its not hard. pull the plug on #1 (might want to pull the others out as well). put in a piston stop or make one out of an old plug. roll motor over by hand till it stops. be gentle. mark it. roll back the other way till it stops. mark it. split that difference in half, thats true TDC. to indicate, make a temporary pointer out of a coathanger or welding wire. then when motor is at tdc, put your pointer extension on and let it set at '0'. me? id tack weld or rivet on the new extension. .02

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with the others. Find true TDC first. Make sure you disconnect the battery and turn the engine over by hand, with a socket on the crank pully/vibration dampener bolt.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My question was really, would the short pointer be pointing to the same place as the original long pointer.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
My question was really, would the short pointer be pointing to the same place as the original long pointer.
The guys are giving you good advice, even though you don't really want it. There are at least two designs for pointers anyway and have to match your cover. One is held on by a 3/8 timing cover bolt and a small self tapping screw with a hex head. The other style is 2 self tapping hex heads. After that, as the guys said, bolt it on, bring it to TDC, and if it lines up, good, if not make a new mark. 50% of the time they aren't correct anyway, so you will be ahead

I am not sure why you want the pointer to go to the pulley though, it should go to the balancer. Pulley's aren't marked, except for the small early combination balancer/single groove pulleys.

Reactions: rickyracer1983

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
The guys are giving you good advice, even though you don't really want it. There are at least two designs for pointers anyway and have to match your cover. One is held on by a 3/8 timing cover bolt and a small self tapping screw with a hex head. The other style is 2 self tapping hex heads. After that, as the guys said, bolt it on, bring it to TDC, and if it lines up, good, if not make a new mark. 50% of the time they aren't correct anyway, so you will be ahead

I am not sure why you want the pointer to go to the pulley though, it should go to the balancer. Pulley's aren't marked, except for the small early combination balancer/single groove pulleys.
Howdy My427stang,

Sage advice as always. The one caveat on timing indicators is on the '65/'66 full size FE equipped cars with actual accessories like PS and or Air Con the actual timing scale is on the accessory pulley that is keyed and bolts over the single belt groove harmonic balancer and its original timing scale. The accessory pulley, if so equipped, totally obscures the one on the balancer so you need to use this scale and perhaps this is what he has to work with.

Just thoughts.

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts