Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just out setting up the timing on my newly built 351w and noticed that the tdc mark that came up with the timing gun is not mark that i was expecting. When I built the engine i marked on the pulley where i thought was tdc and used it to set up all the rockers as per instructions in the manual. Does that mean that i'll have set up the lifter preload wrong? There is a bit of ticking coming from the roller rockers but I didnt think it was excessive... Maybe i'm missing something here, but just thought i'd ask you guys and see what you think...

Thanks for any help,

Marko (Scotland)

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Is it possible you removed the pulley since marking it, and then bolted it back on at a different clock? Better to mark th balancer because it mounts only 1 way. Also, the timing light doesn't flash at TDC necessarily. Timing at the distributor could be a little off causing you light not to match your mark. There's not enough info to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Rotate it by hand to where you originally set the tolerances, then look at the position of the dist, and the position of the piston in the cyl. Then you'll know if you did it correct or not, and are only being thrown off by the advance.

FE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts