Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I went to set the timing on my 88 5.0 ho, I found much debate online, but eventually found this excellent wrote up - Distributor Stabbing and Operation

anyway, my balancer doesnt have a 10btdc mark as I switched the wp rotatoon, as a result I had to mark the balancer on the other side with an older 289 pointer on the cover.

So I figured id stab at 0 and then dial it in..

so I stabbed it at 0, with the trailing edge of the arm and the leading edge of the stator blade as directed in that article, and the mark on the dist base and block aligned, because I guess that mark was there for the factory installers, I may aswell use it.

The interesting thing being that when I came to time it, spout out etc, it was already at 10btdc.

The article says to set your balancer at 10... I used 0...

I double checked my tdc mark with a tdc gauge and dial indicator, its bang on.

The only thing is im using a dial back light, would this make any differemce or are they ok on later engines?

The engine runs well but shakes, the shake is consistent and gets worse with revs, im guessing imbalance somewhere.. if my timing light is misleading and im actually still on 0 / tdc, that wouldnt cause detonation would it?

cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Your setup sounds fine. Dial-back is fine for TFI and any other single-coil setup without multi-spark. With the SPOUT disconnected, you should be seeing your pointer and 0° mark aligned with the light dialed to 10°. If so, you're done. :tup:

Vibration? Check for a colder misfiring cylinder with water mist on the headers just after startup. If they look even, verify your plug wire order. If that looks good, use your timing light pickup on each wire as a firing indicator to verify that each one is firing evenly and consistently. If all is well, your vibration cause is elsewhere.

David

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your setup sounds fine. Dial-back is fine for TFI and any other single-coil setup without multi-spark. With the SPOUT disconnected, you should be seeing your pointer and 0° mark aligned with the light dialed to 10°. If so, you're done. :tup:

Vibration? Check for a colder misfiring cylinder with water mist on the headers just after startup. If they look even, verify your plug wire order. If that looks good, use your timing light pickup on each wire as a firing indicator to verify that each one is firing evenly and consistently. If all is well, your vibration cause is elsewhere.

David
Good to know, thanks, I was curious as to how I ended up on 10btdc when I followed those directions but using tdc. Suggests that following them on 10 would leave you at 20.

I put those little spark plug lamps on all the plugs and it fires super even, no misses, nthat was my first thought... it does feel like imbalance to me but wanted to double check...

thanks again,

mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts