Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine builder tells me the 408W has a compression ratio of 9.5:1 and should be OK with 92 octane fuel and no more than 32* total advance. My distributor has 26* mechanical advance (no vacuum)...all in by 3000 RPM's and I have been running 10* initial for a total of 36*. Today I set it to 6* initial and could tell a big difference in the way it sounds and runs....Still strong, but louder and idles rougher. It seems to idle better at 10* initial!!

I have heard you guys talk about 38*-40* and more total advance and wonder where I should run it since it is so loud I can't hear it knocking....If it is???

I think it runs better with more base timing and I guess I can change the mechanical advance to less than 26* if I need to keep it in the low 30's total advance??

Suggestions.....Thanks,
Cobrajack

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sounds like you need to limit your mechanical advance. Setting your initial
advance higher does help the idle and low
rpm excelaration. I run 15 intitial with
a total of 34. I had to mess with my distributor quite a bit to get it right.
It would have been easier to take the dizzy
in and have it recurved.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have run as much as 45 advance the trick is just getting tuned exactly right or it will detionate, but if it is set right it is amazing how much power you can get out of it

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correction.....My mechanical advance is only 24*, not the 26* I posted earlier!!

Now with only 6* initial, I only have 30* total.....No wonder it sounds a little different!!

I'm going back to about 10* initial for a total of 34*....Hope that is OK??

Yes, I do have ported windsor Sr's. and a 750cfm Edelbrock on an RPM intake....Never noticed any detonation, but exhaust is loud and I can't hear too well anyway!! Also, I can only open the secondaries wide open in 3rd gear......WhooooooHoooooooo.....Instantly to 90 mph or more!!!!

Cobrajack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts