Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 460 it has a 545 kit 871 blower locked dizzy fuel injected externally balanced on a ext balance you do not use the balancer when I built it I set no 1 piston at 0 and set the dizzy so now even though it runs really well I needed to set the timing and I'm curious as to where it is running at so I made a stop rotated the motor to right marked the crank pulley rotated it left marked the pulley the measured the two Mark's divided that in half marked the pulley all Mark's was made at the pointer I used a dial back light and I came up with 45 adv lol I retarted the dizzy to 38 and locked it down was this the right way to figure this out without a dampener

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I would think that an externally balanced engine requires a balancer on the exterior of the engine. You can have a zero balance balancer for internally balanced engines because you need some place for the timing marks to be. Is the engine running well as it is? You need timing marks if you want to tune it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No this is a 460 with a hatchet weight the ballance is not part of the ballancer and the blower kit and drive system does not use a ballancer it uses a crank hub and the blower belt absorbs the harmonics so the only way I can figure to time it was finding tdc and marking the pulley at 0 degrees measure the diameter of the pulley and install a timing tape and then engrave the pulley with corresponding Mark's I did that and used a dial back light and I was at 45 advance I moved the dizzy to give me 38 I believe that process I described was accurate but no allot of blower motors do not use harmonic ballancers

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
finding tdc and marking the pulley at 0 degrees measure the diameter of the pulley and install a timing tape and then engrave the pulley with corresponding Mark's I did that and used a dial back light and I was at 45 advance I moved the dizzy to give me 38 I believe that process I described was accurate
That is exactly how I do it (using a timing tape and engraving) BUT I do not use a dial back timing light. They are notoriously inaccurate for "precision" work due to the added circuitry. They can/will get you in the ball park (Must use the proper diameter tape) though but just don't consider the "value" to be accurate. Irregardless once any value is know, its easy to use it as a reference to advance or retard a couple of degrees if the motor seems to require a change in timing (which is often determined by reading the spark plugs on THAT specific motor.)

·
Registered
141 Posts
How does it feel when you drive it and when hot and shut it off? If no pinging or run after, you're in there has long as the power isn't suffering.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes when I used the dial back it was very hard to get the light to even work below 5 degrees advance and the more advance I dialed in to light like degrees it worked fine I will half to get a old school light and verify everything

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it starts great but I have a 3 step that backs out 25 degrees n start only, and it pull you teeth out stepping on it power is great I don't hear any pinging or anything to signify preignition it stays at or under 208 at 95 degrees out, there is no run on i shut the coils down it stops i can fire it right back up no loping or train just spins like a top i flip the coil on boom running i believe it right close to where it needs to be

·
Registered
141 Posts
Now you can play with it then. Advance 2 degs and she what she likes again. Sooner or later you'll find where she wants to be and where she doesn't want to be. Just makes some kind of marks to know where you're at.

·
Registered
45 Posts
yes, regular timing lght (not dial back), sounds like U got the mrks right. No dwell in this motor ?then (would have asked U set that). Last, ever use a vacumn guage? It could assist too. Have not watched this 1, just 1st on my search:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I'm at 17 inches hg and I dont have a old school light I need to get one but my dial back before my adjustment was 45 I moved it back to 38 at the dizzy when it was showing 45 on the dial back I will check it again once I get a old school timing light

1 - 10 of 10 Posts