Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my heads on like I said yesterday and I took it out for a test run despite the wind (it was only gusting to 80kph/50mph today). The results weren't what I had hoped for. Before the install, my best time was a pawltry 18.1 sec over the 1/4 mile. Now don't laugh, this is on a 5000lb truck with overdrive and a rearend with .275 or higher gears and the only mods on it were a K&N filter and 3" single catback exhaust. The timing was set to the stock 10deg and I had a throttle body plate installed that the local power guru said would pick me up 5-10hp at the lower rpm.
When I took it out today, I did a couple of runs with and against the wind and the best time I got was a 17.88 with the wind after I bumped up the timing to 16deg initial. I fear that the ET will only be about the same as before when the wind dies down.
Will I not see much gain until I get headers on it (I still have the stock manifolds on)?
Also, how far can I safely bump the timing on this EEC engine? The most advance I could see with my timing light was about 28deg but the light went kind of screwee(sp?) at around 1800rpm.
And I don't have the same vacuum advance as shown in the timing article, but will I be able to modify the distributor like it says by moving or replacing springs?
Thanks in advance for all your help, for now I remain windburnt and confused.
:cry:

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Umm- care to tell us what vehicle, engine , year and type of induction?

Technical Editor

Fordmuscle.com

'65 Mustang GT, 289 (Warp 65)

'92 Mustang, 5.0 T5Z (Green Machine II)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FasterDamnit! on 1/9/02 9:12am ]</font>

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, '92 f150 5.0L
it has twin 51mm throttle body

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Your truck is fuel injected and the computer is controlling your timing advance. No springs to change. 14-16 degrees is it for advancing the EFI distributer on a basically stock 5.0. Try 14 degrees. Did you pull the spout connector when you set the timing? A throttle body will not get you much power by itself. Once you have done the headers and maybe a set of underdrive pulleys you might see a .2 to .3 second improvement. An electric fan might net .15 more...

JL

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Ooops- just saw the heads bit- Is your truck still Speed Density EFI?

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Do you know the difference between Speed Density EFI and Mass Air Flow EFI?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just talked to the service manager at ford dealer and, from what he told me, I gather my EFI is speed density because I don't have any sensors on or around the airbox. So that leads me to believe that I won't notice much change until I set up a MAF sensor and I may, at present, be running a little lean.
This conclusion is based on what the manager told me how they both work (ie. MAF gives fuel in relation to how much air is going in and SD EFI gives fuel in relation to how fast the vehicle is travelling). Do I have it right or am I in left field?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bookenns on 1/10/02 12:09am ]</font>

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like I was out in left field. I talked to another tech and he was a little more forthcoming with the info, or maybe I was just asking better questions. The Speed Density EFI should be doing the same job as the Mass Air Flow by sensing engine load, speed and mixture and adjusting accordingly.
So, why is this important if it is Speed Density EFI? The last guy I talked to said my next best bet would be a chip, would that be the way for me to go?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
the speed density system has a set of programs already stored in the computer that will keep the engine running under normal, stock circumstances. It will not recognize a higher-than-stock amount of air flowing through an engine and therefore cannot adjust accordingly. Remember that engines are basically air pumps, the more air you can get in, the more pressure it creates when it is burned with the fuel, and the more power it will make. Mass-air injection directly relies on the amount of air flowing into the engine, and will adjust according to that amount.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
get a mass-air conversion kit, it will make life much easier. Ford Motorsport has them, along with other companies, but I think the Ford one is probably the best bet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts