Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So l have the rear axle out and want to do a brake job.
however, every fitting on the brake system is 50 years old and tighter than a frog's ass! What do you guys do to break things in the brake fittings, OR should l just scrap the whole thing and bend all new lines and install new fittings? Anyone experienced at line bending and have intel that they wish to share?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Repalacement , prebent brake lines are available from Finelines and recommended over originals which may have internal rust. Brakes are one area where cheap could cost you your life.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
you can also buy raybestos and other brands of brake shoes, wheel cylinders, and master cylinders from rock auto online cheaper than anywhere else and they also ship anywhere, but they dont sell brake lines.

i would also not use silicone brake fluid just in case you were thinking about it.

it also helps to have a high quality line wrench like a snap on or a matco . . some of the cheap wrenches actually expand when much force is applied to them which can round the nut off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Gentlemen, my plan is anytime l need to replace anything, if there is a better than original option that l will go that route. Already got the Premium quality Raybestos stuff and braided steel flex lines, so BillyBob's "break" lines ain't happenin'.
It may cost a little extra but I'm not building a factory correct trailer queen. We're gonna have fun!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts