Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"I'll get an Uber" is a phrase said today by thousands of women, who see the ride-sharing service as a reliable way to get where they're going.

But after the murder of a University of South Carolina college student who police say was killed this weekend after getting into a car she mistakenly thought was an Uber, a new spotlight is being put on the safety of ride-sharing -- especially for women.

"Samantha was by herself. She had absolutely no chance," her father, Seymour Josephson, said at a vigil on Sunday. "You guys have to travel together. ... You get into an Uber, you don't know if it's an Uber, you don't know anything about it."

(MORE: University of South Carolina student murdered after mistaking car for Uber, police say)
Editor's Picks
Slain college student who got in wrong car died from multiple sharp force injuries: Officials
April 1, 2019
Uber announces 21 categories of sexual misconduct to report
November 12, 2018
Jogger's stabbing highlights 'unfortunate' and scary reality for female runners
September 20, 2018
Samantha Josephson, 21, was alone when she requested an Uber ride early Friday morning, Columbia police said. After she got into a stranger's car, mistaking it for her Uber, the child safely locks were activated, preventing her from escaping, police said.

Samantha Josephson is pictured in this undated photo released by Columbia Police Department.
Columbia Police Department
Samantha Josephson is pictured in this undated photo released by Columbia Police Department.
Her body was found in a wooded area near where suspect Nathaniel Rowland recently lived, police said. Rowland was arrested and charged with murder and kidnapping, said police.

The University of South Carolina responded by asking the student body to pledge to "never use a ride share service" without first doing two things: Ensuring the license plate, make, model and color of the vehicle and the drivers' photo match the app and asking the driver, "What's my name?"

(MORE: Uber announces 21 categories of sexual misconduct to report)
"Asking 'WHAT'S MY NAME?' must become as automatic for you as putting on a seatbelt in your own vehicle," university president Harris Pastides wrote in the letter to students.

Allan Bourdius, an Uber driver in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, says he often sees riders do the "wrong thing" when they approach his car.

"I very rarely get asked what my name is," he said. "People will blurt out, 'Are you Allan?' -- which is the wrong thing to do."

Bourdius said he normally drives Friday and Saturday nights and typically sees groups of women traveling together. When he does drive a female on her own, he said he only leaves after he sees her enter her destination.

driving school Finglas

1 - 1 of 1 Posts