Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have my 67 Galaxie, jackstands, a jack, creeper and hand tools. I went back to the last 110 pages of posts to read up now im ready. I have the rear springs and shocks unboxed but will wait for any tips or suggestions. I know theres not alot of room for upper shock nut removal and to have a ratcheting wrench.

Will I have to disconnect my rear brake lines to drop the axle?

Thanks peeps!

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
No, you won't need to disconnect the brake lines. The rear springs are simple. Put the rear of the car in the air on jack stands. Put a floor jack under the pumpkin, disconnect the lower shock nuts and pull the shocks off the studs. You can then lower the axle enough to pull the springs out. Just reverse things to install the new ones.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Its gettin towards dusk here in Buffalo NY so if theres no rain tomarrow...im goin for it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update....All done! Will post my own tips and tricks along with a few pictures in a bit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was scared chitless to lay under my 2 ton car alone, even with double jack stands. I was able to sit indian style (no offence) at the wheel wells and reach up and under to remove and replace the shocks. Same with the springs. I did notice my frame has a rip in it right at the rear body mount. just another problem to deal with...sigh

I also threw on some glass pack mufflers while I was under there. Said screw the fear, made a quick will, signed it and crawled under.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So did you take off Bilstein shocks in favor of Gabriel's?
Im not sure what shocks were on there and I just installed what the auto place gave me as replacements. Im not in favor of any one brand as I dont know enough about them. Both old shocks had broken off under the top nut post and the previous owner welded them. The welds were broken so I was driving shockless! The Gabriels were inexpensive and I just spent $800 on front end parts (shocks, springs, ball joints, tie rods, bushings etc). They are easy enough to change out for better ones if the need ever arises.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If the yellow ones, Bilsteins, had a weld that broke, you can probably get them replaced through Bilstein or a Bilstein dealer. That is a type of failure that should never happen. Look into it as I can tell you they are much higher quality than the Gabriel brand, and the Bilstein should last longer. You also may want to see if you can tell what caused the failure so it wont continue happening.
Hope it all works out for ya! Nice car...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts