Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When should a tire be replaced for age rather than for tread wear? Clearly if replacing tires I would do the entire set. If you ask the tire people I am not sure that they are the best source, Kinda like asking the Wolf to watch the chickens...........Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
well i do tractor trailer tires for a living, have been doing it for about 6 years. i would say as long as the side walls aren t dry, and their are no repairs in the casing that you should be ok. also a radial casing is more prone to blow out cause of dry rot then a bias. also look at the DOT # on the sidewall. the last 3 to 4 #'s will tell you when the casing was made. so say the last 3 numbers are 308 this means that the tire was made the 30 week of 1998. if it is 1603 that means it was made the 16 week of 2003. so what i am getting at is 2 things if it has 4 #'s it was made after 2000. and also just because you had them put on in 2001 doesn t mean they didn t sit on the shelf for a couple years! just use your gut feeling. if you don t feel comfortable then don t run them! better to replace 4 tires now them irreplaceable rims, fenders, and body work when you blow one doing 70 down the interstate or even better yet somebodys life.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is an awesome reply. Dude you Know more about tires tahn 12 poeple I know!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Tires should be replaced every 5 years regardless of whether you have driven them or not. The compounds break down and even though they may look okay and may only show minimum signs of dry rot, the smart thing to do is to replace them. I know some guys who have tires sitting around who will put a set of old tires on and go racing and the tires are pretty hard. I say they are pretty stupid. Safety is always number one and tires are pretty much up there with brakes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts