Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know years ago we were told that Radial Tires had to stay in the same "direction of rotation" once they are put on the road.

This throws the old "Five Tire Rotaion" of the bias ply days out the window.

I have heard that the modern radials are not "Quirky" that way and can be run one way then the other and the tire doesn't care ...

I've also heard folks continue to say ... one direction only with radials.

My cars are pretty much all set up with Five matching wheels and tires, so I could easily go with the old "Five Tire Rotation" method and infact I would like to ...

Does anyone out there have info on what the deal REALLY IS with todays Radial Tires

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 9/3/06 12:59pm ]</font>

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Unfortunately, I have no solid data for you, other than what the factory manuals say on many cars, and that is the modern five tire rotation, which is just the four tire rotation (most cars have skinny spares.)

While I have seen this in the manuals, and heard from a few people that newer radials can handle it just fine, but I don't do it anyways, just a front to back swap. Call me superstitious, but you're not going to get more than a couple hundred more miles out of a tire by swapping sides with it.

Here's what www.tirerack.com says:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=43

They go for the corner to corner, front wheels back (or the one you describe) swap unless you have different sized/directional tires.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thekingofazle on 9/2/06 2:26pm ]</font>

·
Registered
119 Posts
Front to back. Only way we've been told to do it for many, many years (radials/same size/obviously).

Tried it on the race car once, but the slicks wouldn't allow me to steer the car.......:&gt

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thekingofazle

That second link is exactly it ...

They make no reference to "Radial" in the examples, which leads me to believe there is no problem with direction ... (unless, as you said, the tread design of the tires is "Directional."

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Go to tirerack.com They have a link with diagrams showing proper tire rotation.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I think you'll be ok with rotating them side to side, criss-cross, it doesn't matter. I worked at a tire shop for almost 6 years and many of the factory manuals said to take the front tires straight back and then put the rears to the fronts, but on opposite corners. So that means they are running the wrong direction. My boss sold hundreds of used radials and we never kept track of the direction of rotation when we took them off. Never had anyone come back due to a tire failure or someother weird problem associated with changing direction of rotation. I wonder if this rule of thumb originally came from when the radial tires first debuted and weren't they glass belted radials or something like that. Maybe that had something to do with it????

Just my $0.02, I could be WAY off

·
Registered
460 Posts
That front-to-back only, keep-it-on-the-same-side idea is over 20 years out of date, and has fallen into the urban myth catagory. It seems to have started as a desperate attempt to keep the first US radials from flying apart for a while longer. Remember the Firestone 500 radial (their first)? I think every car with a set tossed the tread off of at least one. Then came the Firestone 721 ("seven around two around one" was the ad slogan). It wasn't much better. After that they got their act together and have since made a good tire (even though yuppie SUV drivers ran around with half-flat tires and tossed the tread, somehow managing to get upside down with air still in the treadless tire!). I worked in a Firestone store 20-22 years ago and we got bulletins back then saying it was okay to cross-rotate radials.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts