Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a 408 stroker for my 69 Fastback, what width street tire will I need to hook up on the rear? I don't care if it has to stick out a little past the fender.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Tire size to "hook" is an ambiguous question that cannot be answered by a tire size. Better to know more, gears, type suspension, traction adders...caltracs, slappers, coil over 4 link, transmission? Most important, what are you goals in priority....10. sec passes, Street cruising etc.

No true street tire is going to "hook", especially with a 408, unless your running a 2:79 gear with a C4 and no stall and bogging the motor so bad it wont make power.

You can get DOT drag radials etc that will do significantly better, and hook very well, not stick out from under the car if you go about the whole set up properly. It all has to work together.

I was taught, and am of the mindset, when you build a performance car of any shape, intent. Start with what your main goals are, then build it from the rear suspension forward. let us know what you have and want to accomplish and we can give you some helpful hints.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
You don't want them sticking out.

A 275/60-15(if you go 15 inch) will fit using an 8 inch wide wheel with 5.5 inch back spacing. You just need to bend or cut the tab on the snubber in the center of the inner fender

However, good points here, traction control is critical. Caltrac bars are very good, maybe the best street/strip combo, but in the very least, an under-ride Shelby bar to control wheel hop.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
You don't want them sticking out.

A 275/60-15(if you go 15 inch) will fit using an 8 inch wide wheel with 5.5 inch back spacing. You just need to bend or cut the tab on the snubber in the center of the inner fender

However, good points here, traction control is critical. Caltrac bars are very good, maybe the best street/strip combo, but in the very least, an under-ride Shelby bar to control wheel hop.

Good front n rear shocks, springs too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tire size to "hook" is an ambiguous question that cannot be answered by a tire size. Better to know more, gears, type suspension, traction adders...caltracs, slappers, coil over 4 link, transmission? Most important, what are you goals in priority....10. sec passes, Street cruising etc.

No true street tire is going to "hook", especially with a 408, unless your running a 2:79 gear with a C4 and no stall and bogging the motor so bad it wont make power.

You can get DOT drag radials etc that will do significantly better, and hook very well, not stick out from under the car if you go about the whole set up properly. It all has to work together.

I was taught, and am of the mindset, when you build a performance car of any shape, intent. Start with what your main goals are, then build it from the rear suspension forward. let us know what you have and want to accomplish and we can give you some helpful hints.
This guy is dead on. Don't do 4 link or ladder bars though. Cars are running real fast w/o them. Call calvert and get one of everything. I was surprised that even their 90/10 front shocks aren't at all horrible to drive with as long as you don't run some front drag springs.. No guru here, but we have had pretty good luck with those mickey thompson drag radials. They drive real nice on the street as well. I have one of the only fords in the group, but friends that make 6-700 dyno confirmed rwhp can leave on the brake, with boost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts