Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm looking to get me a street/strip car together and have a few of them that I have been looking at. My ? is I have found a nice fox body that I could make work for me realy well problem is the guy says there is no title. Guy doesn't realy have a good answer as far as why he don't have a title so I guess use your amagination. I'm guessing he probably has a loan out against it. What options would I have as far as getting a title for this car? If I file for alost title and it comes back stolen or with a lean against it can they just take the car from me? I have anouther parts car that is around the same year as this one and I have a title to it can I just switch the vin #'s and use the title that I have. Eather way the 2 cars will end up making one its just that the better shell of the 2 is the one without a title. Could I get a salvage title maybe? The value of the car now is only 400 bucks or so anyway. NO motor or transe so its not like any bank or lean holder would want to waist their time with repoing it. Thanks for all the help... Jason
O ya this is all going down in Idaho if that matters.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
HAY JASON
Yes if it is listed as stolen or there is a lean on it. It don't matter what shape its in they WELL take it from you....... I'd get the vin # off of it and visit your local police depatment or one of the officers that may be parked somewhere and ask them if they would run it for ya.. also I beleve your insurance agent can do this as well. If it was race only then I don't know if it matters as it wouldn't be regestered anyway..
Where abouts in Idaho..
tim

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Dont switch the VIN tags, it could get you in some serious trouble. DONT DO IT.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
gotta agree with v8shadow on this one,id get the vin numbers off the car and get them checked out,just not worth the hassle of swapping the tags imo,imagine doing that and dumping a load of cash into the car only to have it taken off you,now that would suck bigtime

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I bought a mustang in minnesota, and it came with two parts cars, but one has an almost perfect body, so i wanted to fix that one up. Right when i bought them i called the sheriffs dept, and they ran the vins and nothign came back, so i checked on the state website, and found out that in minnesota you need a bill of sale, signed by the seller, a complete description, and a reason for not having a title by the seller, and pictures from all sides. And an application for a new title, and thats all it takes.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2006-03-28 13:14, pedal2themetal45 wrote:
HAY JASON
Where abouts in Idaho..
tim

I live in Burley... Do you go to Firebird much? How about the new 1/8 mile in Gooding? A guy from here started it up at the end of the year last year and he seems to be getting a pretty good croud of people. Thats what has talked me into building a car.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the other replys I didn't realy plan to change the #'s just thought I would throw that idea out there. My buddy was telling me last night he knows someone at the DMV so I was going to have them look up the plates and see what comes back. At least that way I can see if the car is registerd to the guy trying to sell it or not and if there is a lean on it.
I also have a pretty nice looking 4 banger that I think I could pick up for 7-8 hundred bucks maybe I'll just go that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts