Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the strong Aussie $ at the moment would it be an advantage to get a US sourced stroker short block or complete package. Im an Aussie and your thoughts are appreciated...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I thought you guys had all the goood stuff down there, Clevelands wise anyway.
I suppose you are doing a Windsor.
Certainly there are some very good builders over here. I read good things about T Meyer, MME, Kaase, guys like that who participate in the various forums.
Would the difference in the dollar value cover the freight and insurance?
You know, if I was a builder, I might offer to stop by and help you light it off as an excuse to visit Australia. What a interesting country.

B

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah its a windsor im looking for. I had a look around locally for some of the short blocks im looking at about 5 to 7 grand. Stroker crate engines are about 10 to 20 grand depending how mild or wild.

What would i be looking at for freight and insurance?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
29 Posts
TMeyer, Inc. Precision Automotive Machining

McKeown Motorsport Engineering, Inc.

As to the cost of the freight I really have no idea. There may be some customs costs and delays as well. I've run into that bringing things down from Canada. What I would suggest is first reading the thread below titled T & L engines. That should reinforce the importance of finding an honest builder. If the builder you choose is well known I would think that they have shipped out of country before and know what is involved to do it, and what the costs would be. Two places I would suggest you try first are attached.

Good Luck,

B

·
Registered
63 Posts
What size windsor are you looking to build? Would you be open to a unique smaller displacement engine, than traditional windsor strokers, (i.e. 408, 427, etc.) What are you looking to do with the engine, street/race?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
With the strong Aussie $ at the moment would it be an advantage to get a US sourced stroker short block or complete package. Im an Aussie and your thoughts are appreciated...
What kind of parts are in the short block for 5-7 grand?..My concern with buying one from the U.S is that its along ways away if you have any warranty issues with the engine..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a street engine.

Just wanted the extra cubes on a mild top end for the torque and sound.

My main concern was with warranty issues.

But as its for cruising, i thought with a reputable builder, my chances of problems would be minimised.

Probably just build a warm 51 windsor but thought i would ask a long distance question...

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
If you have the block, just buy the ingredients. Kits are fairly priced and much cheaper to ship. Not much different from building a stock block.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have had a huge spike in phone calls from customers in AUS lately due to this....they all say the same thing you are....much cheaper to get from the US with freight included. I have shipped quite a few engines out there and typically costs about $1500-$2000.

If theres anything I can help with lmk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts