Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a frind who just rebuit his charger 73 400 magnum engine with a bunch of edelbrock stuff and special pistons. Well, I have a 1969 Mustang coupe with a T-5 and pertronix ignition powered by a 302. Before I used to bit him in the 1/4 mile, but now there is no way....by the end of the track he is probably 3 or 4 cars in front of me. Can anybody give me some tips on which are the best cost-effective new parts for a 302 I can buy in order to kill a mocking bird?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Give us some specs on your stang.Whats done to the motor?.What kind of gears do you have?If your car is totally stock except for the t-5 you should be able to make up 4 cars easy enough.If you have any timeslips those would help as well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 3/6/02 8:33am ]</font>

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I had the same problem that haunted me for years. A buddy has a '56 Ford Victoria with, oddly enough, a 440 dodge. I could not beat him no matter what I tried, and last year I came close, but still no. Well, the new 393 windsor sure took care of that problem, unless he found some more power as well! Tell us what you have and we'll try to help you.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Beating the Charger shouldn't be impossible, he's heavier by probably 300-400#'s,depending on equipment. He has a displacement advantage that will be difficult to overcome. Supply some specs and we can help. I used to know alot about these MO-Beasts and will divulge some of their weaknesses!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Sabbotage would help.

Post some specs of your car. That would help us help you.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Sabbotage would help.

Post some specs of your car. That would help us help you.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If his front bumper is 4 lengths ahead of you that would be approx 75 feet. If you're doing 90 MPH at the end of the 1/4 mile that's 132 feet per second. If you drop .6 seconds in the 1/4, you'll beat him by a bumper. If you're doing 100 in the traps that's 146.6 feet per second and you have to lower your et by .52 seconds to beat him. That's not much. Let me know what your entire engine combo is including gearing, converter and exhaust system, cam, etc. Finding enough extra power to beat the Dodge by a couple of lengths shouldn't be too difficult.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hard to help a guy when you are just guessing isn't it? That Charger has to way 4,000 easy. Earlier ones were boats but that 73 is a freaking barge.
Mach1Morgan is on the right track, a half-second shouldn't be too tough. You might not even need hp if you have an open diff with a 3.00:1. Some gears, locker and sticky tires might be enough.
But please, post some details on your car. I checked your profile and there isn't anything there either.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the delay guys, I was away on a bussiness trip for a while and could not connect from my lab top. My mustang has the original 69 engine. Evrything is stock excpt for the .03 overboar cilinders and the dual exhaust pipes attached top the original exhaust manifold. As you can see, aside form the T'5 and the pertronix, everything is stock. Please give me a hand on this...I need to bit this sucker.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot to mention it. I do not have timeslips, my friends and I race in an abandoned street outside the city. No computers, no trees, no rules, just pure adrenaline and speed. Also my speedometer broke the wire a long time ago, but I should be going close to 85 mph at the end of the trac.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't really know how much you want to do to the engine but I'll try and give you some guidelines. Has the engine still got the original 2 barrel carburator? If so probably all you need to do is get an Edelbrock Performer 4 barrel intake and an Edelbrock or Holley 600 cfm sized carb, or even a used stock 83-85 5.0 HO intake and carb, and install a set of 1 1/2 inch long tube headers. Totally stock engines respond well to even small performance improvements. Just the 4 barrel intake and carb along with headers could reduce your et by 1 to 1 1/2 seconds in the 1/4 mile. If that's not enough, find a set of early 351W heads (C9** or D0** on the underside of the intake runner with a 351 cast under the valve cover) and get them rebuilt with a 3 angle valve job and install them. That'll be good for another 25 HP. If you really want to get that Stang cooking, cam it up a little. With all of that done you should have no problem smoking that Dodge. If you want I can give you more details if you need them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Mach1Morgan, I was thinking the same, I was looking at my summit magazine, and I found an edelbrock performer rpm intake, cam & tapper combo & an edelbrock performer carb that I like and are not that expensive.
About the heads...do you really think that they should go before the cam shaft, using a $/performance criteria?
One last thing, what kind of criteria should I use to choose the headers. They all look the same to me, but the prise seems to vary a lot form one to the next.

·
Registered
231 Posts
When it comes to headers, higher price doesn't necessarily mean more performance. The important thing is to get pipes of the right dimensions. For your application 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 tubes, 30" or more long will work well. Don't go with shorties. The are better than manifolds but in the midrange they fall far short of the performance offered by a good long tube header. I go for the cheapest header that is the right size. I suggested swapping heads because it's easier to do that swapping a cam. Plus, if you stay with totally stock heads, you are really limited by how much cam you can run. A big cam with restrictive heads is not usually a good combination. I will have time a little later on to dig into my engine analyzer program if you'ld like. I'll come up with the best cam I can find for an approx. 9:1, 302 with an RPM Performer, headers, dual exhaust and stock 302 heads and for mildly cleaned up 351W heads and you can make your choice. Chances are good that what works well will be a smaller cam than you think you need.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've come up with a few cams that will work for you. The first 4 will make great low end torque but are big enough to still make 275 HP with stock heads and will spin to almost 5500 RPM.

Comp Cams grind XE250H-14. The part number is 31-255-5. (206-212 .462-.474 114 l/s +4)

Comp Cams XE254H-14, part# 35-255-5 (210-214 .478-.485 114 l/s +4) (351W firing order)

Crane Cams Powermax H-266-2 part# 363931 (210-218 .456-.472 114 l/s +5)

Erson part# E211011 (208-214 .448-.478 114 l/s +6)

Erson part# E212021 (214-226 .478-.493 114 +4) (351W firing order)

All are similar although I got the best torque curve results on my program from the two Comp Cams grinds while the bigger Erson cam raised the powerband about 400-500 RPM and 10 HP but sacraficed some torque below 3000 RPM to do it. For cams bigger than these to be beneficial a very good low back pressure exhaust system and some head cleanup or mild porting is needed. My personal choice would be the COMP 35-255-5 cam. I hope this helps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mach1morgan on 3/18/02 10:02am ]</font>

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks a lot bud, I´ll let you know how it goes. On the head cleanup/porting, how hard is it to mildly port the heads at home. I found this set of 1973 351W heads, and I wanted to explore the art of porting. Do you have any literature that you would recomend?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
but on a lot of cheaper headers you will have worse craftsmanship, thinner pipe wall, and a poor coating. A lot of it is about durability but the cheap headers aren't bad. With the same dimesions they'll give you the same performance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went with Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers 3/8 flange 16 gauge pipe hts coated fit perfect for 225.00,also went from a two barrel to a four plus intake and 2.5 pipes to a set of flowmasters its not even the same mustang,,big big diff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts