Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I wanted to pose a question to everyone and get some ideas. I was wondering if the idea of a boss 302 (302 block with 351c heads) is even worth the effort nowadays. Since theirs good aftermarket heads for the 302. I know there’s clevor style heads aswell. So my question is a clevor/ boss motor worth it power wise or would a 302 style be better ?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Depends on your goal and how big your wallet is. If the car has a big enough engine bay, the 351W Clevor is the way to go and stroke it to the max.
The Boss 302 was built for racing 4500RPMs+. It was a dog on the street until you got the RPMs up. A 407 stroker with the valves and heads will also work at lower street RPMs. Which are you building it for makes the difference of how you build it. Edelbrock makes the heads and intake for this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 69 Torino fastback, I'm trying to make the car like the old Trans-am racing mustangs. Basically "if" they were to race them back then. that being said the car mainly will be doing road race-type stuff at high RPM 7500+

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
It's a 69 Torino fastback, I'm trying to make the car like the old Trans-am racing mustangs. Basically "if" they were to race them back then. that being said the car mainly will be doing road race-type stuff at high RPM 7500+
I would go with the Edelbrock stuff on a 407 stroker. Longer stroke will give you better off the corner TQ. Guy here in town has an old 351 Clevor he used for dirt track racing. Chevy guys hated him. Beat up on them pretty bad. He has one of the old Track Boss intakes with modified Cleveland heads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would a 407 stroker realistically survive at 7500-8000 rpm? Even at that would a 351/427 work? The only issue with the 351w based stuff is with any sort of tall manifold the air cleaner goes through the hood. Reason I ask is because all the aluminum blocks I can find are 351 deck height

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Would a 407 stroker realistically survive at 7500-8000 rpm? Even at that would a 351/427 work? The only issue with the 351w based stuff is with any sort of tall manifold the air cleaner goes through the hood. Reason I ask is because all the aluminum blocks I can find are 351 deck height
That depends. How you did it and add ons you had. A blast once in a while, yeah as long as you used go parts. ARP/Milodon, etc bolts/studs. Main cap girdle, valve train girdle, and all the "right stuff' to hold it together. Put a blower/turbo and Nos and all bets are off, IMO. People have done it and the engine survived so not to say you can't. But you won't be able to do it long, even at all maybe, using stock crank/rods.
Put a 6-71 blower 150HP Nos shot and drag race it every weekend, better have an after market block to survive or keep the "kitty litter" handy.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Edelbrock 2060 Total Power Package Top End Kit For Ford Cleveland (351C Heads On A 351W)
Includes Intake/Cleveland Heads/Roller Camshaft and Lifters/Timing Chain/Intake/Gasket Set/Bolt Kits
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Bumper Wheel

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
7500 rpm is asking a lot from any engine. JMO Had a 72 CJ XR7 for years, taught people how to drive a manual transmission with it a few times since you could side step the clutch and it wouldn't die on you. All stock, sweet exhaust sound I could recognize anytime, and it would sing to 6000, never pushed any further, no need for me. Was way more forgiving than 429 Cobra before it. 351C or Boss got the look of the times.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what I'm leaning towards is an aluminum tall deck Windsor punched out to a 427, all forged internals with arp bolts/ studs. then either that Edelbrock clevor top end or CHI heads. Topped off by the vintage dual quad intake I have. with dual Edelbrock 650s, luckily it's a shorter manifold so it should fit under the scoop but be pretty close

1 - 10 of 10 Posts