Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a high volume oil pump when I assembled my 351C awhile back. It shows 30 lbs hot at idle and 50 lbs at cruise speed. When I am on the throttle it pegs at 60lbs. Sounds good to me. However, my problem is that the lifters apear to be pumping up at about 5200 rpm's. Now, I have been all over this before with the fuel pump pressure, carb floats, timing, and all that. I am sure that the lifter pumping up is the problem. My question is, should I simlpy install anti-pump up lifters or should I install a stock presure oil pump. Keep in mind that this is a 351C and they have a bad rep for oiling problems. But I may have to much oil pressure at full throttle. I also run an 8 qt. Canton oil pan.......Bob

·
Registered
136 Posts
Your oil pressure is fine. What symptom is the engine exhibiting that makes you think the lifters are pumping up? Are you sure it is not valve float? or a weak ignition?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Although I'm running a solid cam in my 351C, my motor has 90 lbs cold, 45 hot at idle, and about 75 at WOT. And that is with 5W-20 synthetic oil.

·
Registered
359 Posts
just a side note but I thought that the HV pumps were suppost to make around the same pressure just move more oil if needed
the HP pump is suppost to make more pressure

1 - 8 of 8 Posts