Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone running one of these babies take a measurement for me ? I need to know what the width of one at the top of rear cowl opening , I have 1983GT and am interested in maybe putting it back on top 4" cowl but because the the cowl tapers inward as it gets higher, I'm sure it may not be wide enough to mount.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can do this for me.

-Gregg

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by it tapers towards the back.
Mine starts out in the front, (as all do), and gets bigger and bigger, and bigger, and bigger, (well,you get the idea). It stands a full 6" from base hood line in the rear.
Let me know specifics, and I"ll measure the hell out of it for ya.
Don't know what ya mean by tapers in the rear, tho...........

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think he means the cowl tapers inward from the base as you go upward on the sides. The cowl is narrower at the top than at the base.

Hey drag79stang. Do you know if Glasstek makes a cowl hood for a 67' Mustang? I've got a stock hood to fix my 67, but a cowl would look sweet on mine.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
My only advice is to give 'em a call. I don't have handy their phone number anymore. They're (I think), located in Naperville, Illinois. If you punch up a search engine for Chicago area, and punch in glasstek, they come right up. If I remember right, they make glass stuff for just about everything.
I know I have no complaints on the hood I got..........

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys thanks for answering the call!!!!!!

Yes Ron your right, when I say taper, I mean how the cowling moves towards the centerline of the car as it gets taller. Whats the width of the top of cowling @ 1" from the rear.

thanks guys!

PONY1

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
It's 23 and a half inches at the top (in the rear), and 27 at the bottom, (in the rear). Not a whole lotta taper.
Besides, unless your engine has been moved back (like a bunch), you'll never get close to the rear of the hood with anything. Unless you're running dual 4's, and still only with a majorly setback engine setup.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx for the time! The original scoop is 28" and a bit to wide
Maybe with a little triming I can get it to fit. Just got the heads in today, waiting now for Summit to get camshaft and valve covers in and get them off to me. Only need a few more items and it'll be rdy to drop in.

Can you say "REDLIGHT",, but pulling wheelie's is fun too!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PONY1 on 4/23/02 11:53am ]</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts