Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
1966 Galaxie
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright stop throwing stuff馃榾
I know how I feel about original classic cars with window tint. I dont like it.

But, I do like it on some hotrods, restomods, etc.

I know the pros and cons of tint.
Im thinking my car is different enough to get by with some tint, but original enough to go without.
I love the old gasser color windows but not sure it would fit my car, but I do like to be different.
I came across some chameleon blue/green tint that sparked my interest but...

Just wanted to hear from guys that have tint and guys that dont,
and lets see some pics with tint on your Galaxie.

Registered
I Do have tint....as it was there originally....
I had to get a new windscreen..and was lucky to get one with the same tint and optics...so yeah....I like it to be like orginal.
gz
Alex

Registered
Alright stop throwing stuff馃榾
I know how I feel about original classic cars with window tint. I dont like it.

But, I do like it on some hotrods, restomods, etc.

I know the pros and cons of tint.
Im thinking my car is different enough to get by with some tint, but original enough to go without.
I love the old gasser color windows but not sure it would fit my car, but I do like to be different.
I came across some chameleon blue/green tint that sparked my interest but...

Just wanted to hear from guys that have tint and guys that dont,
and lets see some pics with tint on your Galaxie.
Hello,

I am for factory tint (green --> lead oxide mixed in with the molten glass). But I am not for aftermarket tint. Our 68 XL has hideous aftermarket tint from some previous owner and I can't wait to take it off. If I find the original glass to be clear non tint glass I have a complete set of factory tinted glass for it that I will change them all out.

Just my opinion :)

Cheers

Registered
Yeah..... I briefly considered adding tint to my 66 500XL (already has the factory green tint).

Not gonna do it, nope, no way.

Many years ago I had a 65 Galaxie 500 4dr sedan that some kind soul smashed all the side and back glass for me.... :rolleyes:
It was parked in front of my house at the time.

The car was a beater with much rust and a tired 352.
I had patched the worst rust holes with pop rivets and sheet aluminum.
Then I painted it flat black Tremclad rust paint with a brush and roller... o_O :D :cool:

After the windows got smashed I luckily found another one in the pic-n-pull and got all the glass....

.... and since the glass was all out I decided to do the "Limo Black" tint.

It actually looked kinda ghetto cool with the brushed on flat black paint and the dark tint....

.... but on a nice cruiser car I wouldn't do it.

Registered
1966 Galaxie
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good stuff. Yes I like the old greenish factory tint, i call it Coca Cola glass.
I like the fact that the original windshield had a blue band across top, and I hope to find the same replacement.
I dont think the car would look right with dark limo tint. But would like to see some hint of blue or very light tint, but dont want to go overboard.
I have googled a lot with tint but most ive seen are not very appealing馃榾

Registered
Factory Tint vs Aftermarket on a similar car

nice looking car and ugly tint

nice looking tint and ugly car

:p

Registered
1966 Galaxie
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would have to agree, the gold car would look more classy without the tint.
I do like that light blue, but may lean a little too blue for my car color.
I cant make up my mind.
I found a pic the other day, it was called chameleon, but was a light blue/green. It flopped in sunlight which is exactly what my paint does. But i cant decide.
I dont want to pay to get it done and then hate it.

Registered
I would look into some of the new tint out there. The ceramic tint. It doesn鈥檛 cheap but you can get clear tint that provides the heat resistance that the dark tint used to provide. Totally a great tint option for a classic car. Might even be able to get it in a classic green or blue mild tint

Registered
1966 Galaxie
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah ive had 5% before when young, had to roll down windows at night to see, I cant imagine having it now.
I decided I will wait to see what phase 2 of car looks like. Some DR assoc. rules says no tint.

Registered
I'm in the process of converting my factory non-tinted windows to factory tint although I don't know if it was an option on 63's. Taking the car in for headliner and front and rear windshield install this monday. After that I'll work on doing the side windows although there won't be a big rush to get them done this year.

I've always had aftermarket tint on the windows of all of my cars although I don't care for the dark dark. As Yard Farmer eluded to above I don't want to have to roll down the windows to see out at night and with the factory tint it may be too much.

Registered
I'm in the process of converting my factory non-tinted windows to factory tint although I don't know if it was an option on 63's. Taking the car in for headliner and front and rear windshield install this monday. After that I'll work on doing the side windows although there won't be a big rush to get them done this year.

I've always had aftermarket tint on the windows of all of my cars although I don't care for the dark dark. As Yard Farmer eluded to above I don't want to have to roll down the windows to see out at night and with the factory tint it may be too much.
Here is the answer Yard Farmer.

one way tint and it鈥檚 mirror on the outside. You can see at night and no one can see you. Mirror on the windows., say it with me COOOOL!!!

Registered
Yeah, kinda like chrome windows
Cooool馃榾
Chrome gets ya home too! You have to do your car with this tint. I have 5 bucks for the kitty, and you tint away and let us know how it works out. Come on Galaxie pages, donate to yard farmer mirror tint!!!

Administrator
I like some with tint but if it's too dark you can't see nothing at night and have to roll a window down to see to back up from a parking lot etc. Only rode in one and drove another with tint. One way dark, one not so much but had stupid blackout things on the headlights. Took me a while to find a well lit area to get off the highway and remove them as the headlights were so dim i couldn't see where I was going hardly. Wonder if they have some plastic sheeting you could lay over the windows and see roughly how it looks from the outside and the inside? Be easier to decide that way and sometimes what looks good in a photo or even a sample is not the same when it's on there.

Registered
I like some with tint but if it's too dark you can't see nothing at night and have to roll a window down to see to back up from a parking lot etc. Only rode in one and drove another with tint. One way dark, one not so much but had stupid blackout things on the headlights. Took me a while to find a well lit area to get off the highway and remove them as the headlights were so dim i couldn't see where I was going hardly. Wonder if they have some plastic sheeting you could lay over the windows and see roughly how it looks from the outside and the inside? Be easier to decide that way and sometimes what looks good in a photo or even a sample is not the same when it's on there.
It鈥檚 one way mirror tint. You should be able to see at night. Plus mirror!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts