Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post makes up for my laughing at my friend about his engine troubles ( my other post entitled "So my buddy calls and says his engine is running rough..." ). Last night I was working underneath of a Bronco I bought for parts, and I needed to remove a bracket from the frame (the one that holds the automatic shift linkage from the column) but I couldn't get the darn rusty bolts loose. Normally I would have done the typical soak 'em in penetrating oil and wait, but I have to get this thing out of the driveway soon...so I break out the grinder. Well long story short, it was cutting nicely and suddenly "grabs" and rears back...right at me!!! Of course being late in the evening there isn't much light under there so I am holding a flashlight in my teeth...and the grinder slams into it hard!! Ended up splitting my front tooth in half
So this morning I have to go in and the dentist does a remarkable job at using the bonding/filling material and restores my tooth to like new...even color matched it nicely too! ( MaybeI should see if he does body work on cars
)
Realized it could have been worse though...the dentist told me it sounded like the flashligh saved me from getting a grinding wheel to the face...instead of a broken tooth, I could have ended up with stitches or worse!
So lets all take a moment and remember the great words of Norm Abrams..."let's take a moment and talk about shop safety"
Sometimes I get in such a rush I end up doing things that are so stupid, and I know better...that is what makes me feel so dumb! So everyone out there, be careful, be safe...and take your time and follow the simple safety rules we all know so well, but all too often overlook
Mike

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
You said it brother!! I am an avid ear,eye, and whatever else I can protect kind of guy. Since this isnt the "dental forum" I will PM you with some very usefull info about all that.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Humphrey, those dentists can sure work miracles these days. You must have looked like Loyd from the movie Dumb & Dumber. You guys ever watch those biker build off shows where there is allways some biker guy with tough guy tattoos on his neck grinding steel with no safety glasses. I see some of the stuff those guys do and I dont let people work like that in my garage, its just plain stupid.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
....Yeah but did you end up getting the linkages out?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2006-11-03 03:43, danv wrote:
....Yeah but did you end up getting the linkages out?
uhhhhh...not yet

Going to get back at it tomorrow morning, I figure I can take the weekend and finsih tearing her down, using safer methods this time of course.
Like jacking the truck up more to a better work height, and of course making sure it's secure and won't roll or fall over on me (after the other day, anything is possible! ), putting a light under there to make it easier to see, and of course proper face protection (...I'm thinking of an umpire's mask and safety goggles
)
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Try the WW1 leather helmet and big goofy aviator goggle combo, works for me.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, on many occasions my sister has suggested I should be wearing hockey gear...even though I am not on a team. Maybe she is on to something there...but then again, she often asks me if I rode the short bus to school....

mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts