Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of taking on another altered project since mine is nearly complete and I have been having second thoughts on my frame set up. My current frame is fabbed of 2" by 3" by .083 rectangular tube. My cage was going to tie into the front frame rails to give it the strength and rigidity it needed to compensate for the thin wall sq tubing. I have very little invested in my current frame and am considering starting over with all 1 5/8" .125 mild steel tubing for the complete frame and cage. 2 reasons= #1 it will be lighter than my current plans, #2 I really love the look of those '60s fuel altereds with their tube chassis. This '27 truck altered was built for 1/8th mile use only and will never break 6.00 ET however alot of the altereds I see have 110"+ wheelbase and a giant mess of tubing making up their chassis. I want a very simple frame that doesnt sit 2 feet tall and require 350 feet of bar to build, I want something more like a '60s altered would have. My question is this, where can I get info on making this IHRA legal? And is there a problem with a very simple frame design on a 6.50ET 1/8th mile car????????

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Go get a rule book. The roll cage and belt section of the IHRA rule book covers 7 pages. Read that and then call one of the certified chassis inspectors with specific questions. The altereds have a mess of moly tube, which is lighter than mild steel tube. They also have a mess of tube because they are fast, squirrelly and the rules require it. I don't have to 2007 rule book here, but IIRC if you have the slightest possibility of hitting 6.50 or below (might be 6.99) you'll need to have the chassis certified. It would not be good to spend time and money on building up a car only to have the chassis inspector refuse a cert. Note that if you cross under 6.50, there will be a host of additional requirements for you to meet that don't have anything to do with the chassis. Also why you need a rule book.

1967 Falcon 4 door w/351C - Owner built, owner abused.
70 Mustang 302 / 06 Ranger, 04 SuperCrew parts hauler
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ckelly on 1/9/07 11:34pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This altered will have all it can do to run 7.00 considering my plans are for a N/A 306 or 357 so I will definately be within the 6.50 and slower bracket. My plans from the beginning were to build something that could run 7.50 or faster with an axle to axle total investment of $4000 and that includes absolutely everything including motor/trans. I am trying to play it safe as well as stay within reason of my budget and mostly stick with my '60s theme.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ckelly, thanks for the info, where can I get a rule book? My first chassis was built according to mostly hearsay from different rodders but I want this next one to meet IHRA specs even though I will not break 6.50. Besides I dont want to go 6.00 @ 120 in something I made at home, little scary.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Subscribe to NHRA newsletter, (or better yet), become a NHRA member. You get the year's worth (weekly), of the paperwork, PLUS the nhra member PIN, plus the rulebook, PLUS lots of other added features. (and, no I dont' get paid for typing this).......:&gt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts