Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for 1974 Ranchero tonneau cover for quite a while. If any members have a used one in decent shape and would like to sell it for a reasonable price shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]

·
Registered
662 Posts
Why not get one made at a good auto upholstery joint?
I believe he is referring to the hard covers like the one on my 1972 GT 4 speed.

They are good for keeping this stuff out of the bed.

I have a Gaylord top on mine. The Company is in Santa Fe Springs Ca. but last time I checked they had stopped producing the tops for the Rancheros. You might want to give them a call to see if some of their retailers might still have some in stock.

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Oops sorry.
We refer to the these ones over here, like on my Falcon Ute.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just for clarification , I am looking for a tonneau cover, not a bed cover. A tonneau is a flexible, leather or vinyl cover that snaps along the sides of the bed and has crossbows to maintain rigidity!

The purpose of searching for a USED tonneau is to avoid the cost of having a new one made by an upholstery shop.

There are some NEW tonneaus on EBAY but I'd rather not spend $200 + shipping for something I'll only use a couple of months.

Thanks for your interest
Tim O

·
Registered
662 Posts
Just for clarification , I am looking for a tonneau cover, not a bed cover. A tonneau is a flexible, leather or vinyl cover that snaps along the sides of the bed and has crossbows to maintain rigidity!

The purpose of searching for a USED tonneau is to avoid the cost of having a new one made by an upholstery shop.

There are some NEW tonneaus on EBAY but I'd rather not spend $200 + shipping for something I'll only use a couple of months.

Thanks for your interest
Tim O
Tonneau Covers

Both the Hard covers and the soft covers are known as "Tonneau Covers"
You are looking for a "Soft Tonneau", which cost between $100-$200 new.
If you are looking for a used one, keep in mind the extra parts that you will need for it, such as the snaps you will be mounting to your bedside and the rail mount that connects just below the back window of the cab. If you already have snaps mounted on your bedside, keep in mind the snap location on someone's used bed cover might not line up with the placement of your snaps. For the small amount of money you would save trying to find a used one I would say you are better off having one made new to your own specs.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nobody on this planet calls a hard cover a "tonneau". A hard cover is a "Hard cover". After 35 years of restoring cars I know how to install snaps on the side of a ranchero that did not come with them.

Let's just forget my post about the used tonneau. I've gotten nothing but ridiculous replies.

To those who offered sincere comments, Thanks

·
Registered
662 Posts
Nobody on this planet calls a hard cover a "tonneau". A hard cover is a "Hard cover". After 35 years of restoring cars I know how to install snaps on the side of a ranchero that did not come with them.

Let's just forget my post about the used tonneau. I've gotten nothing but ridiculous replies.

To those who offered sincere comments, Thanks
You must be from another planet, because on Planet Earth Truck bed covers are known and marketed as Tonneau covers. If you were to call someone who actually sells these items new and just asked for a tonneau cover, they most likely will ask you in return "are you looking for a hard cover or a soft cover?"

Tonneau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tonneau (US: /tʌˈnoʊ/, UK: /ˈtɒnoʊ/) in modern use describes a bed cover for a pickup truck. It can be hard or soft. Hard covers optionally hinge or fold.
Here are a couple links of places that offer both soft and hard Tonneau bed covers.
ONE-PIECE HINGED FIBERGLASS TONNEAU COVERS - JCWhitney
Truck Bed Covers at Tonneau Covers World...learn about them here!

My responses to to your posting were intended to help clarify what it was you were requesting, however judging by your responses to genuine offers of helpful suggestions you only reduce the probability of obtaining your goal.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts

Tim O
Tim:

I had to have made a softy one for my 1960 Ranchero via a fellow wh did upholstery on the side. The lower snaps were drilled and the screwed into the chrome side rail.

Biggest problem was had it made up from an old jet engine cover that got at Norton Airbase back when. It would sag when hot and then shrink a bit when cold or rainy. After ten years had enough. The same guy at show moved to Loma Linda then retired. I yanked if off about two years ago and threw it away. Got tired of the stretch to fit or snap back on routine.

As you would zip down the freeway, it made a whooping noise from air traveling over it then.

Wm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a hard cover on my F-350 manufactured by Gaylord. It was advertised as a tonneau cover.

Before insulting people I would think it wise to get the facts straight.

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Just for the record, I read it as to be a vinyl covered tonneau held down with tie-downs or clips, as found on my own Falcon ute.
To me, a hard cover is exactly that.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Well, way back when, according to my early 1950's speed manual, the Tonneau was used to cover up the seat area on a roadster being used at the Dry Lakes of Sou. Calif. to avoid some air resistance. Having nothing to do with a truck.

Wm.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
And a 'sway bar' is actually an 'anti-roll bar'; and a 'motor' is an often-misused term for an 'engine'.
Potato, potato-tomato, tomato. Anybody want to chime in with a quote from Bandit Darble??? (as spoken to Frog)
JD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts