Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could cause too much oil pressure? We've broken 2 pump drives, one motorsport, the other a moroso, and the oil pressure guage is pegged past 100. I have a oil filter adapter off of a 460 van, but we ran it all last year with no problems. By the way, it's a 302 in a 78 fairmont, and it's a high volume oil pump.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The pressure relief valve could be stuck or you have shimmed the spring too much.

Pull the oil pump off and take the bottom cover off and the gears out and use a screwdriver or awl and try prying the relief valve open.....if it doesn't move, this is all probablility your problem....

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I had the same issue with high oil pressure with the high volume oilpump, I finally ended up changing the oil pump back to a stock unit, now it is fine.

P.S. I never did bend or break a pump shaft, so I cant offer any help in that area

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After much swearing, we found the problem...One of the wristpin clips broke and jammed in the pressure relief valve. Good news is we saved the oil pump, bad news is the block is junk. Thanks for the help anyway guys.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all is not lost. We had changed my maverick from 302 power to 393 power during the winter, and the 302 was still laying behind the shop....roller cam and all. So we now have a backup motor. I think dad'll like the roller. He's never driven a roller-cam motor to know the differences. I have to get a set of springs and some gaskets, but it should be done this weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts