Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, here's your chance to burn to a crisp every idiotic auto fad ever to come down the tarmac. Don't limit your imagination to just ricers this time. (besides, you'll have too much trouble limiting it to "10"
) Here's mine:

10. Fart can mufflers
9. Those little dogs whose heads bounce up
up and down in the back window.
8. 13 x 10 inch wide tires...especially on
(insert your favorite 60's sedan here)
7. Airplane aerofoils on the rear of front
drive cars. Whatsupwidat??
6. Straight axles on the front end of 60's
era gassers to "help weight distribution
" Sure they looked cool, but...didja
ever try to drive one?
5. 14" wide rear tires on cars that would
only accomodate 8" wide ones (also see
"air shocks".
4. LED tv's/video players that mount on
sunvisors..
3. "Hoppers": cars equpped with enough
hydraulics to operate a 747. Cool
technology looking for a better home.
2. Disco conversion vans (yuch!)

and the number 1 worst auto fad is...
1. Curb Feelers!!!!

Ok, guys the guantlet is down, show us what you're made of!!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wolf whistles ........where you would either drill a hole in the intake, (if a port wasn't available), and tap the hole for the special whistle. Then attach a cable (choke type cable), to it, and when engine was running, you would pull/push/pull the cable, and whistle................(installed one an a friends car, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay long time ago).......

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Side exhaust (except for Cobras and a few others). Extra points if its on your van

A lot of this stuff is in the JCWhitney catalog.

1964 Comet 289 C4/3000 stall daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 5/14/02 8:28am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
DVD players in mini-vans, intended to keep the kids placated and quiet during long drives. I don't know about you, but taking long cross-country drives with my family are some of my best memories. It's the perfect time for parents to interact with their kids, not keep them shut up and plugged into a t.v. set!

·
Registered
196 Posts
GOT TO BE THOSE GOD DAMN STUPID CRY BABY DOLLS ALL THE STREET ROD GUYS LEAN UP AGAINST THEIR CARS. I HATE THOSE FREAKIN THINGS.
Also those clear tail lights kids put on their imports and strobe light headlights.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Those little yellow signs for the car windows (baby on board started it).

Bumper stickers that said "I (heart) my _____". Natioal Lampoon magazine used to sell little stickers with a picture of a screw that covered the heart perfectly.

Fake fur and shag carpet interiors.

Etched windows.

CB radios and their 10' antenas.

Fog lights.

Fake zoomies.

Shackles.

Flaired wheel wells.

Is that enough?

Greg

P.S. I paged through a J.C. Whittney catalog from 1970, they actually had lots of good stuff, gear sets, multi carb intakes, engines, and lighted hood orniments.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
What about the 13" gold wheels with 30 or lower profile tires. or the other end 18"+ wheels on anything other than monster trucks and industrial equipment. Also animal print seat/wheel covers, dash carpets, and neon lights on the interior.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Id have to say my pet peeve is all the new F-150 4x4s with 12 wide rims and low profile tires, lowered, with lots of gold plated accesories, dingle balls hanging from the headliner, and lights on the running boards, mudflaps, side of the cab, down the side of the bed, etc etc.....

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Everyone should agree , THOSE STUPID BIG WINGS ON THE BACK OF THE IMPORTS !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
About those horrible cry baby dolls. I was at a Goodguys show, and there was a gnarly Pro-Street Camaro with a blower sticking out of the hood. Leaning up against it was a crybaby doll with ragged and bloody stumps where the head and hands should be. It was burnt. A sign said, "got to close to the fan!". It was hilarious. The guy got a lot of flak from tsk tskers, but I congratulated him.

·
Registered
672 Posts
On 2002-05-13 17:10, fxcomet wrote:

4. LED tv's/video players that mount on
sunvisors..
What's so bad about those? Both the visors in my car have a 6.5" LCD screen in them. It really makes me go to school early so I can play games or watch movies while I wait for class to start.

The worst things I can't stand are roll bars on 2 wheel drive trucks with no lift kit on them, chrome tinted windows,........there's more but I can't think of them right now.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Dont forget those old "foot pedals" that were a big thing in the 70's van craze!
Also, what about those "Type-R" stickers that are on everything from Accura's to Zephyer's.
Remember when the Suzuki Samauri was the hot ticket for all the young kids in the 80's? They had them dumb looking wheels protruding past the body, and lowered to the ground. Dumb.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Still in this faze un4tunately though...
The little 1.6L ricemobile with a 1" exhaust from motor and a 4-6" diameter muffler and dump showing from the back.

Hood scoops where no hood hole exists.
Stickers of all the go fast stuff (NISMO, GREDDY etc) on the fenders when none of it is in place on the motor.

Fake AERO-style fuel filler cap stickers that go over the fuel lid door.

Stereo bass boxes that are so loud that they are audible two days before the car appears.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Enormous stickers on the sides of imports that are in Japanese and the dufus inside said car has no idea what it actually says.It probably says something like"retarded round eye"

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
how bout the "little dog" that went in the back window and his eyes would light up w/the brakes/turn signals
...........jees I wish I could find one of them again!!!!
hey GC.....dontcha think the Galactic Machine would look kool w/a set of skirts on her?????

BTW......does anyone have any old decals that they could send my way?? STP etc........want to decorate my tool box and can't get them old decals nowhere around here!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lindenj on 5/14/02 9:40pm ]</font>

1 - 20 of 38 Posts