Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i putting the motor back together and i have a question about something...

i slid the cam in, put the little plate that holdes it from sliding back out of the block. there are 2 bolts that hold that on. then i put the top sprocket over that. then on top of that goes the little round plate and the thing that spins around and controls the fuel pump (sorry i dont now technical names for this stuff) before i tightened the bolt that goes into the center of the cam the the cam would slide back and forth about 1/4'', im guessing thats normal. when i tightened the bolt down it pulled the sprocket VERY VERY close to the bolts that hold the first plate that goes over the cam. like REALLLLLLLLLY close. sorry i dont have a picture of it right now. but does this sound normal? i dont want to start the motor and **** it all up.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
i putting the motor back together and i have a question about something...

i slid the cam in, put the little plate that holdes it from sliding back out of the block. there are 2 bolts that hold that on. then i put the top sprocket over that. then on top of that goes the little round plate and the thing that spins around and controls the fuel pump (sorry i dont now technical names for this stuff) before i tightened the bolt that goes into the center of the cam the the cam would slide back and forth about 1/4'', im guessing thats normal. when i tightened the bolt down it pulled the sprocket VERY VERY close to the bolts that hold the first plate that goes over the cam. like REALLLLLLLLLY close. sorry i dont have a picture of it right c2e now. but does this sound normal? i dont want to start the motor and **** it all up.
round thing that operates the fuel pump ... called .Eccentric and must be correct for the cam gear . 1 peice or 2 peice plus the right lenght cam pin .

"close" when all is tighten ... end play checked and you push back on the cam gear while rotating , nothing hits ... run it

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not trying to be mean, especially since you are trying to help me. but i never understand what the hell you are saying because you dont speak in complete sentences.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Tighten the cam gear down without the chain and make sure it spins freely. Check the end play. If it doesn’t hit the bolts it’s good to go. Make sure to use the right length pin for the fuel pump eccentric being used and make sure you have the right cam gear for the eccentric you are using. The one piece eccentric uses the long pin and the two piece uses the short pin. If using the two piece the outer race should spin freely when the cam gear bolt is tight.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
im not trying to be mean, especially since you are trying to help me. but i never understand what the hell you are saying because you dont speak in complete sentences.
OK , from now on I'll post like your a 2 year old . thats not being mean , just that you have no idea what your doing

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK , from now on I'll post like your a 2 year old . thats not being mean , just that you have no idea what your doing
im just trying to learn here. like a lot of other people. but your right, for the most part i dont know what i am doing as i have never done something like this before.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Too true FE. Oh and I love your sig, there's been a few times I end up on a thread that's 10 years old and find a reply that I have no recollection of writing, but it's got my name on it. I re-read it anyways, just to see if I really knew what I was talkin about back then. :)

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Dan, you do tend to be vague in your replies. Don't expect these guy's to understand, use a few more of your words and teach them. You'll never run out I promise :)
what I did about 1 hour ago , showed this thread to a non auto person .

person is a wood worker , has a skill that he must think . The good part is he new what had to be done , just by the OP's post and mine .

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
You don't even need to put the cam in the engine to check endplay and clearances, pin length, etc. It can all be mocked up laying on the bench. Lot easier to see and work on. Just bolt together the cam, retainer plate (w/bolts), sprocket, eccentric, large washer. Use a feeler gauge to check endplay.

·
Registered
841 Posts
im just trying to learn here. like a lot of other people. but your right, for the most part i dont know what i am doing as i have never done something like this before.
learn how to use the search button.....

You might want to pick up a copy of "How to rebuild your small block ford" by Tom Monroe.

Amazon.com: How to Rebuild Small-Block Ford Engines (9780912656892): Tom Monroe: Books.
Srsly. Open a book. Or take a class. Or find an old man that does know what he's doing and ask him, politely, to teach you. The internet is a library at your finger tips. Use it. Not everything is going to be served up on a platter. Earn it.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
learn how to use the search button.....

Srsly. Open a book. Or take a class. Or find an old man that does know what he's doing and ask him, politely, to teach you. The internet is a library at your finger tips. Use it. Not everything is going to be served up on a platter. Earn it.
agree 100% . such a thing as 1million% , that how much I agree

Kenny , I'm not picking on you , just good advice that was given

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Make sure your using the right bolts. The head of the bolts should be about 3/16" tall.

A pic is worth a 1000 words sometimes :)
Exactly.

I have run into this before. A standard run of the mill 1/4" bolt head is too thick and gets REALLY close to the sprocket. Some sprockets are made differently and, well one that I had (at that time) actually DID hit the cam retainer bolts. Had to grind the bolt heads down a little. Not a lot but enough to make some clearance. They are tight in there, however. Ones I've looked close at were no more than .040". If they ever hit, you have more problems than a sprocket and bolts and it's got to come apart anyway.

Adviseable to run a little loctite on the bolts as well. Don't want 'em backing out. Experience speaking :)

Also in agreement with post #3.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i have it all back together. i used the stock bolts so im guessing those will clear. i did check for clearance before i put it back together and it seemed to clear. i guess i will find out for sure when i start the motor

1 - 19 of 19 Posts