Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine got a toploader in on a trade and I am considering it for my Fairlane. It is a HEH-P 64 mustang 25 spline model, but has a Falcon extension housing on it which would work fine for my 64 Fairlane. The question is will that Falcon extension housing work correctly on the Mustang case and tailshaft? And is a Hurst shifter readily available for it, and is this trans the early small bearing case? It does have the dual pattern mounting holes at the bell housing flange. Thanks Dwayne R.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
A friend of mine got a toploader in on a trade and I am considering it for my Fairlane. It is a HEH-P 64 mustang 25 spline model, but has a Falcon extension housing on it which would work fine for my 64 Fairlane. The question is will that Falcon extension housing work correctly on the Mustang case and tailshaft? And is a Hurst shifter readily available for it, and is this trans the early small bearing case? It does have the dual pattern mounting holes at the bell housing flange. Thanks Dwayne R.
The tail housings are interchangeable. However, the 25 spline is a weak link. I believe they even warranted a recall, and got changed out for free by Ford back in the day for the stronger 28 spline. I believe 25 spline slip yokes are also hard to find. 28 spline main shafts aren't that hard to find, but it is a fair amount of labor to swap them out if you haven't had a toploader apart before.

I couldn't tell you what all shifters are available. You would want to call David Kee or Dan Williams Toploaders. Their sites should be easily found with Google.

Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.