Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The toploader 4 speed in my 67 is starting to give me problems. Actually, it started in my first 67 about 8 years ago. But I hadn't had it in a car for about 8 years. First car got totaled and I just got another about 2 years ago.
Anyway. Occasionally it is hard to pull into second gear and it always is hard to downshift into second no matter if I'm in 3rd or 4th. I have to work the shifter back and forth between 1st and 2nd a couple of times to get it to engage. But it never grinds when doing any of this. I've tried checking and adjusting the linkage a couple of times. It's even a different shifter than the first car had. Hurst comp plus. Shifter isn't new though. Is it the syncro going bad or something else?

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Coolfalcon, I really like the look of your car. Some day, when I drop some nutty 351W stroker in my '61 Falcon, I'll need to tub the rear end like you did. Do you have any pictures on the web of how you did the back half on your car? Thanks.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I actually changed it before installing it in the car.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
First Ron I use to have a shifter that have really stiff and was heard to get in and out of gears I oiled the shifter up really good and it worker better. Also if the syncros were bad it would crunch going into gears up or down. Hank hit the link you my site IM adding pictures all the time will get to a lot of backhalf picture soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts