Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guy's, this tranny is tagless. It's a C5AR case like many many out there, it's just like my Torino 390 Toploader, but no tag means pictures adn numbers.

What does this pic tell you. The numbers are the number of each gear's teeth count respective to their position in the transmission. The 38 represents the teeth on the big flat gear that cycles reverse I think....

Thanks

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Its a wide ratio box with the 2.78 first gear, as determined by the 2nd gear tooth count (2nd gear count is the sure way of determining ratio.) The 65' case has dual block mounting patterns. Originally mounted behind a 289 or a 390, but can be used behind other low CI motors. Used in 65-67. The case is universal for ALL 64-73 vehicles that used a toploader. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and the cluster gear are specific to the wide ratio. The other guts can also be used in a close ratio as they are the same. That is about all you will discover without the tag.

The geared teeth on the 1-2 synchro are indeed used with the reverse gear.

What else would you like to know?

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's about it. I blasted it and cleaned it up good and painted it and cleaned it out, all is in excellent condition. I'm going to put it behind a 289 in this 65 Mustang Convertible I'm restoring for my client in Idaho.

I just wanted to know about it is all. I'm not a tranny guy. I got 2 more I'll be posting the same pics and questions about but one does have a tag, 68 Toringo 390 I believe.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OH shiznit! This one is a 6 inch input with a 3/4" pilot!

Shart, what's to be done now? The other trans I have is an RUG E2 and it's a 31 spline output I believe.

I also have a 3rd toploader that's mated to a Spicer transfercase, it's got a HEH AR tag on it....

I have a 3 speed toploader with the 6 1/2 inch input shaft, can I use that shaft in the 4 speed?

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Yeah, the short shaft tranny would fit behind a 390.

RUG-E2 came from the factory with a 28 spline output shaft and the correct input shaft for a SBF. If it has 31 splines, someone swapped it in. It also should be a wide ratio,

BUT:

the curse and the beauty of the toploader is that most of the parts interchange with few issues. After 40+ years the guts may not match the tag.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Whats the HEH AR out of? And can I use the 3 speed toploader input shaft in the 4 speed that's pictured above? I need the longer pilot.
66' Fairane 390 with a wide ratio. It too should be a short shaft.

A SBF input shaft can be swapped into this or the pictured toploader above, as long as it is for a wide ratio too.

If you find a SBF input shaft, I can show you an easier way to do the swap without total dissembly.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Hey guy's... I got 3 toploaders up for sale since none will do me any good... How about a swap? Or anyone got a SBF toploader input shaft handy?
I'd love to have them, but we are about 30,000,000 miles apart. Also a little hard to carry on the plane when I am in Seattle visiting the step children.

Check out item #16 here for a good price on a new wide ratio input shaft that will swap in to the the trannys that were mentioned:

Ford Toploader HEH

1 - 20 of 32 Posts