Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I converted my 66 coupe 408w to a toploader 4 speed from a c4. I used the same starter i had on the auto. The car started just fine? I just read here on a post that you can't use an auto starter... can someone elaborate?

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
Which flywheel do you have, 157 or 164 tooth? Which bell housing and clutch?
Mine is 164 tooth, and when I did it, the C4 starter would NOT work with the toploader. The starters are indeed different, and have different part numbers.

If memory serves, it seems that maybe the manual starter could be used with the automatic, but not the other way around...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm? I have a 157 tooth ram clutch flywheel and clutch set up 10.5 setup. I need to figure this out. Still in process of breaking I'm this new motor

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Did the same change. Starter nose cone was longer on one of them having the starter drive go out farther than the other . No grinding yet, or no problem engaging?

Greg

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope - no grinding or problems engaging. Starter doesnt get stuck... nothing? Im going to take some pictures and upload. Im curious about this because everyone says it can't be done...?

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Sure it can. It just depends on which ring gear position it uses. You can get flywheels that work with Toploaders in either type. Try this thread for info.

David

The pencil trick. If you can't get a pencil between the teeth and the block plate, it needs the short-nose version. Note how far forward on the flywheel the ring gear is positioned:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
took a couple of pics with the pencil trick. i can fit 2 pencils in there if i wanted..

so a 157 Ram Clutch Billet Flywheel works I guess with an automatic starter? Guess I got lucky because never even thought about it not working

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts