Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend with a 69 mustang w/ 302 and a 4spd Toploder. His problem is that he has to ride the clutch to keep the motor from stalling, if the clutch is fully engaged at any speed the engine will stall. On top of this when the clutch is let out when the car is in neutral, it will stall. If this sounds a little wierd, I thought so too but unfortuneately this is what he told me over the phone and I cant go to look at it my self right now. My guess is that the car is stuck in top gear but he claims that he can change gears. He also claims that the linkage and the shifter rails on the tranny "look" ok. My other guess is maybe a worn out pilot bushing. I know that this is a pretty skewed discription of symptoms but if anyone wanted to throw out some ideas, it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds to me is that his linkage is not lined up on the trans!! Those toploader linkage can be very tricky!! What shifter does he have? Put the shifter in neutral and you should be able to stick a cotter pin in the holes while you adjust the shifter linkage!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I know it is the stock shifter. Come to think of it I remember my old mercedes diesel had a problem like this and all I did was readjust the shifter linkage. I guess that is what I will ask him to check, unless you guys have some other ideas. Thanks so far for the info:)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jimbo on 12/29/01 12:10am ]</font>

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he says he alreadt checked the linkage using the cotter pin method, he says it checks out ok, any other ideas?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had a problem somewhat like this. I aligned my Hurst shifter using the proper procedures but I still had no forward gears. The problem was that one of the shifter rods was bent. I put a one degree bent in the rod for reverse and it worked. Keep in mind this is when I did the auto to manual conversion. So all the parts were new to my car. If he hasn't worked on these parts or done something that could bend a rod, then it might not be this, but it is still worth checking.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Otto on 12/29/01 2:41am ]</font>

·
Registered
809 Posts
From your description it sure sounds like the transmission is stuck in gear. But if the shifter is working normally that can't be. Unless there is a broken shift fork inside the tranny, that is not pulling the syncro back to neutral. Jack up both rear wheels (securly block the front wheels) and see if it still stalls.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sounds like the pressure plate is not disengaging the clutch plate. I would look for a bent or failing clutchfork. Or the equalizer arm welds are failing or the rod from the clutch pedal to the equalizer arm is bent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts