Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I chopped up a '72 Gran Torino. I stole the front clip and the drive train, and put it in my '56 F-100.

I know you're going to say "What the hell did you do that for?", well I got it for $150. It was used for running drugs from what I hear. The car was beat to ****. I got it from some seller, that got it from an auction. Any way, it took me and my old man about 10 yrs. till the '56 was rolling.

All has been rebuilt, with the exception of the 9". (in progress)
351C 4V, C6, 9" rear with 3.25:1 gears

I was kinda suprised when my machinest told me it had the quench heads and 4 bolt mains. When I had the C6 rebuilt, and they told me it was built for a 6 cylinder (fewer clutches), I don't think it was the original.

So what is the difference between the 2? Did Gran come with more of the power pac?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Im not sure if this applies to the 72 Torino's, but I know it did for earlier models, but you could get any engine that Ford offered in the bodystyle.
Most of the 72 models that I have seen were of the Gran Torino flavor as opposed to the standard Torino model.
The 4 bolt block is common for a 4V Cleveland (although not in every case, as there are 2 bolt 4V's, also), but the closed chamber heads are definately not off a 72 motor.
Most of the 72 Cleveland 4V's were called H.O.'s
If the transmission is a C6, it should have no fewer than 5 cluthes inside the drum....some truck/van units had 6.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The C6 only had I think 3 clutches, and they added 2 more. As far as the motor, it has a tag that reads;
351C 72-5
024 K620SG

My guess would be it's a '72. I don't remember if it had any kind of power package such as windows, but when I look at photos of the front grill, and the hood I get a flash back of the car. I chopped it up about 15 years ago (and those years are foggy). It seems to me most of the Torinos came with 2V's and 2 bolt mains, this is what made me wounder recently what I had chopped up. If it was the Gran Torino.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts