Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a Performer RPM and Holley 600 on a '68 Torino. I'm replacing bell crank with throttle setup from '71 Torino which had a 2bbl Cleveland. Has anyone encountered the issue where the cable is too long? Even the Holley tech was stumped. Looking for cleanest work-around. Thx.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Can you flip that bracket around? Lokar is another route.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flipping the bracket doesn't work. I know mustang and torino guys have installed 4bbl manifolds and holleys without any issue. I've done it a couple of times many years ago, and don't remember this strange issue. I could fabricate a plate which would suspend the bracket 2 inches behind the manifold, but I think it would look stupid. Lokar is a last option- trying to keep everything stock looking.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Done the same swap, but, the bracket bolted to the intake, is different that the one your using, mine is bolted on the same way but, the actual bracket that holds the cable is about 3" further to the back of the intake, which lines up the throttle cable with the arm,
Mine was off a 90;s T--bird

·
Registered
436 Posts
Why not cut the tab the cable indexes to off the bracket and weld back in the correct location to line up with the throttle shaft on the carburetor? It's not as if that part has to contend with heavy loads. I'm planning to do something similar with a bracket for a TV cable.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hey Adrian - I use the bracket as a mount for my throttle cable & drilled a small hole just under the throttle mount as a mount for my Lokar TV cable too, works just great

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Lokar is a last option- trying to keep everything stock looking.
So you add a Performer RPM and a silver Holley carb and you're worried about the linkage looking stock? LOL
Lokar makes a black cable if you don't want the "bling" look. It's what I used on mine.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
There should be some spring pressure when at idle, if you connect it does it have an odd pedal location or not allow enough throw?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have the motor in yet, but the spring pressure is preset due the fixed "coil over" design. Yea, I'll have to move the whole bracket back about 2" either by extending the mounting pad on the manifold, or cut and welding the tab back. Maybe just find a 90's T-Bird as Roger did. I ground off the Edelbrock/RPM script off and painted it so it all looks more stock. I got the carb at deep discount so I couldn't pass it up. Freaking zinc finish is expensive! I might just find and rebuild an Autolite 4100. Such a great carburetor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts