Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have a '68 Montego MX convertible that's in bad need of belt weatherstrip. Would the belt weatherstrip for a '68 Torino convertible fit my car? I've heard yes and no. Does anybody here know for sure?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Belt?

Can you describe exactly the piece(s) you need?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Belt weatherstrip" is what they call it at the restoration sites, I've always heard it called belt-line weatherstrip. It's the weatherstrip at the top of the doors/quarters, inside and outside of the windows.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
OK, I understand now.

I would think either would fit as long as it was the same body code, i.e. formal Rook/Conv or Sports Roof.

I am away from this house this weekend and my MPC. When I get back (Sun), I can verify this.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure the Montego and Torino are the same. Dearborn Classics lists the Montego and Torino as the same, Mac's Auto Parts puts the Comet (Montego) in with the Falcons, and a guy who sell's alot of nos parts says they are not the same as the Torino (he happens to have the correct Montego stuff, with correct part numbers, for $100 PER PEICE!). I'm just looking for something that fits, works, and looks good.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Fairlane/Torino are the same car, just different trim levels. The Comet/Montego is a high trim MERC Fairlane. The WS should be the same. I will be 100% sure MON if it will help.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure the Montego and Torino are the same. Dearborn Classics lists the Montego and Torino as the same, Mac's Auto Parts puts the Comet (Montego) in with the Falcons, and a guy who sell's alot of nos parts says they are not the same as the Torino (he happens to have the correct Montego stuff, with correct part numbers, for $100 PER PEICE!). I'm just looking for something that fits, works, and looks good.
I would think they are the same also, that said sounds like your 'guy' is doing a little marketing and gouging... 100 bux EACH? OUCH!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
CRS strikes again... :rolleyes:

Yours is a CONV.

Do you need both the door and quarter belt weatherstrip(s) inner and outer?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I thought you had found the parts.

Can you answer whether the outer strips have a brite (chrome) finish or not? Can you supply a Body Code (off the Warranty Plate)?

There are two trim levels on the FAIRLANE/TORINO and COMET/MONTEGO.

Photo?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't bought anything yet. Was thinking of going with the stuff from Dearborn Classics. I'm just looking for some weatherstrip the works properly, looks correct, and stays attached to the car.

My body code is 76B, color Q, trim MB. The original outer pieces on my car have the small round stainless bead along the top. The inners are just black.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I will be away from my MPC for a few days so I cannot positively help you until then.

The catalog is not that concise in the MERC side, it just lists the WS as with or without bead molding. The FORD side actually goes by Body Code, both lines using either style (according to trim level).

Can you wait a few days?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I'll get you the info as soon as I get back. Remind me by Fri in case I experience a brain fart.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Look @ this molding on EvilBay-
1968 1969 MERCURY COMET MONTEGO BELT WEATHERSTRIP | eBay

It has a very thin molding. Does your door outer WS appear as this?

There is a separate upper outer belt molding, but cataloging only lists it as available on the fastback.

The text is referring to the wide molding (with or without) on the inside WS (@ interior door trim panel).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts