Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looks like two front torque boxes have rotted out on my falcon and are barely holding on. i was wondering how much would it cost for some one to cut and reweld metal to that area?!

i would like to do it myself but im not allowed to weld or do any fun stuff on city streets.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Honestly if you do the math most shops charge between $40-$80/hr x hrs charged you are looking around $500-$1k I think to do the job. You can also save on a little bit of labor by taking off the rusted torque boxes yourself. Are they going to fab their own torque boxes or are you having OEM replacements taken off of a donor car? That is also something to consider and could increase your price.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
DO NOT EVER REMOVE ANY METAL EVER on your car if you plan on taking it to another shop.
That just makes the time they spend on the job about 4 times longer and costs you more in the end. TRUST ME!
It is FAR better for the operator to remove the piece that is needing replaced than to have someone else cut it out before hand and find out that you farkled it up by cutting too much here and not enough there...

Don't do it, just take it whole. :)

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Also consider that the old torque boxes are plug welded to the floor boards. Removal would likely also require the removal and replacement of metal from the toe boards up to the bottom edge of the firewall.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so theres no way around the rust in the mean time, the torque boxes are rotted out and the only way to fix it is to cut the old metal out and weld in new metal in its place

theres more to this than i thought. damn... im not discouraged, its fun times like these that i wish i had a garage.

i saw a falcon in the junkyard with this problem and it looked like they placed a thick sheet metal and secured it with screws. i saw the samething with a dodge dart. kinda wierd.

·
Registered
684 Posts
This is a fairly easy job to do for someone that has decent fabrication skills. Check into some of your local shops that specialize in early fords. Also look on Craigslist you might get lucky and find a good fabricator that works from home.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Torque boxes
Top 2 pictures Driverside

Bottom 2 Passenger Side

These boxes need to be cut out and replaced:
Q? 8 or 10 guage metal ok?
Q? what type of metal would weld accordingly to the frame?
Q? a stick weld would be used for this right?
Q? do i have do remove the floor pans to reweld in new torque boxes?

let me know what you guys think :tup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
You would use a mig welder not a stick welder for that. Check vendors like Dearborn Classics and Falconparts.com for replacement sheet metal.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Cut out the bad steel and weld in new. You can buy replacement floor and toe boards from several vendors. The torque boxes will need to be fabricated. The floor steel is typically 16-18 gauge. The torque boxes are much heavier but I never measured.

Consider adding weld-in subframe connectors while you are doing this work.

You should also inspect your cowl. If the floor is that rotted, the cowl area will certainly be too.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You may want to check with Classic2Current on the replacement sheet metal. They are very decent in price as far as floor pans, toe boards, etc. Not sure if they have torque boxes though but you can call them off of their website.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts