Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay im putting a ******* performance c4 behind a 351w, when its all bolted up the torque converter has no end play, i can feel play rotation wise so its not bound up it just doesnt slide in/ out. i can feel all three stages of the converter engageing so im sure its bottomed. while its all the way in i can feel about 1/2" to 1" of the snout still outside the trans, is that normal? I have about 1" from the bell housing to the pads on the converter.I have read all kinds of stuff and checked all my parts and i cant figure out whats going on.
anyone know the length the snout should be?
the parts are as follows:

79' 351w
case fill c4
big bell housing rf-d7bp-7976-aa
164t flexplate measure depth 1/2"

any ideas would be great

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'd just contact them. I read a post a while back about a ******* converter having the wrong dimensions. They can make a good one, we put one in my friends comet and it's been great, stall was within 200 rpm.

·
Registered
945 Posts
From memory (which ain't that great these days) I fairly sure the dimension from the face of the bell housing to the converter pad (or base if you like) should be 1 1/8". Put a straight edge accross the bell and measure back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think the converter is getting stuck in the crank, between the paint on the converter and the rust in the crank its a pretty tight fit som im gonna clean all that real good and try it again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i measured from the bell housing to the pads and got 7/8" but im positive the converter is all the way in. I emailed ******* about it so maybe they can help. can anyone confirm thats the right bell housing for a 351w?

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
That would be pretty close to ok ,what is the flexplate to block plate distance now to confirm there is in fact clearance.As long as it is less than 7/8" go for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts