Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Have '65 fitted with TCP power rack & pinion which has provided a great improvement in driving pleasure. However, have one niggle cannot eliminate. Installation bedeviled by hissing noise when turning steering which would appear (?) to be caused by air ingress in fluid. Tried everything we know to elimninate without luck. Flushed fluid, changed fluid, checked connections etc etc. All look sweet.
Anybody got any suggestions for fix or run into same issue?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
What type pump are you using?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Standard TCP supply so capacity, pressure etc should be right. Really getting suspicious it is actually a problem with the specific pump currently fitted as everything else works so well and all the hoses etc pass testing etc.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Standard TCP supply so capacity, pressure etc should be right. Really getting suspicious it is actually a problem with the specific pump currently fitted as everything else works so well and all the hoses etc pass testing etc.

Thanks
I have not kept up with TCP for awhile. You say they offer their own pump or just a Saginaw copy? If their specific pump, you need to contact them.

If a FORD pump, there are are steps to take to relieve the noises.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue. I have change flow valves to a higer flow than the standard and it is a little better. I have the KRC pump same secifiation that TCP recommends, tank is mounted to the pump. I thought that perhaps the pump mounted tank was the problem since this tank uses a non-vented cap. I flushed the systems from the generic fluid and put in KRC fluid. It helped some but it still does it. It seams that it is more prevalent when the fluid is hot.
1966 mustang convertable torqest II, all new tie rods, control arms, ball joints etc. I just had the front end aligned, to specifications, the 3.5 caster solved the problem of the non-return to center, but I have had to readjust the rack pinion 2 times to take the free play out. I have about 700 miles on the set up.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I used a Unisteer in my 65 and it works great no issues.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I have the same issue. I have change flow valves to a higer flow than the standard and it is a little better.

I have the KRC pump same secifiation that TCP recommends, tank is mounted to the pump. I thought that perhaps the pump mounted tank was the problem since this tank uses a non-vented cap. I flushed the systems from the generic fluid and put in KRC fluid. It helped some but it still does it. It seams that it is more prevalent when the fluid is hot.
Interesting. Did either kit manufacturer suggest a cooler? When the fluid gets hot (too hot) it will begin to foam/aerate and that is where the noise is coming from.

How about a filter in the return line. Did they mention anything about that? Fluid type? DEXRON III or TYPE F?

And I don't think you want the system vented as it will ingest outside air.

There is a SPECIAL SERVICE TOOL to help draw ingested air from the system. I will get the PN and post it in a few days.

Another thought. A remote reservoir would keep the stored fluid from the engine heat. But unless the kit maker makes a specific suggestion, I would try a cooler.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I had to put a cooler on the Unisteer which is mentioned in the install instructions. I used power steering fluid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi
Another common denominator is same issue that hissing increases as temp goes up. While cooler would be an option (note: already has remote reservoir) have had two shops look at it and both finger the valving on the actual rack as source and that reduced fluid temp only part of the fix.

At least I know apparently not the only one so are not seemnigly chasing a one off unique problem.

Will have another chat to TCP about it as have eliminated possibility of air in system.

Thanks for your input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts