Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody have a template or outline of the tow bar brackets that lurk under the front bumper of thunderbolts. ? I want fab my own, and am thinking of making a whole bunch on my plasma table.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The brackets may have been used for towing purposes, but don't belive that was intended purpose. They were used for awhile there be used in tying down the auto onto a railroad flatcar for shipment. The auto rack cars beginning in about 1968 were being equipped with points inside just for the purpose. I think prior to this a simple chain over the differential housing was considered good enough.

Wm.

·
Registered
136 Posts
they are tow bar mounts. I just finished making a set. I used 3/8" aluminum plate, you can also make them in 1/2" plate. I won't be using them to tow, so 3/8" was good enough for me. I copied them from a picture of the M/T Hemi T-bolt car (see pic) I made mine 2½" wide. Measure the bolt spacing for the bumper mount, and measure how low you want it sit below the bumper and how long you want it to stick out in front of the bumper. You will also need to make spacers to allow tow bracket to sit away from frame rail flange.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John64 on 12/29/06 4:56pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John64 on 12/29/06 4:56pm ]</font>

·
Registered
136 Posts
that bottom pic is not of my car. It's the M/T car. It was the only good close up picture I had. I built mine similar to them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you John. .! Great pics and advice. I will probably spin off a few sets if anyone wants any. I will leave them undrilled so they can be matched to your car. Might be april before I get to it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, that old gasser looking straight-axle 64 your building looks way-cool!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts