Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for the first hand experience on this. I have a 65 Gal and I am stroking the 390 to the 445(3 weeks to finish line) with a built Hughes performance C6 and going to run 3.50 gears. The motor will be close to 500 hp and I am not sure what setup to run and hold together. It will be 98% street driven with the normal roasting of the tires. I hear and have read every different opinion on what to buy to get this to hook up and hold together, but other forums with different weight cars. It was the 3.00 open rear 28 spline. I will not be hard on the car except in the normal situations. What has been the best setup?

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I am running a 432 cu inch stroker with a c-6 Strange 3;50 rear with tru-track and 31 spline axles in my 63.5 Galaxie. This set up has worked very well for me. I love the Tru-Track, Hooks up, Is smooth, quiet, No clutches to worry about.

·
Registered
718 Posts
i ran 3.50 gears in my 66 ford wagon with a 460. i stuck a 31 spline traction lock in it at first and after about 2000 miles the cross shaft in the posi broke. i put a locker in it and after several thousand miles a factory 31 spline axle broke. i put a set of curries 31 spline axles in and one broke after about 3000 miles. i put a set of strange ss 31 spilne axles in and they went almost 70,000 miles. the cars are heavy and the bb makes a lot of torque. a trutrac would be fine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Have you guys upgraded to 31 spline or were you lucky enough to have it already. If I did go to the 31 spline(which I should) is it just an easy order since I have the large bearing 28 spline? I have everything disassembled to do a disc break kit and need to do it right so no regrets later. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Yes it is a easy swap, If you are already changing the diff you might as well go ahead and change the axles too. When I changed mine Strange had info available to ID the bearing size and and axle retaining flange so I could order the right stuff. I am sure that all the major players that you might choose to order from will have the same info. When you compare your new 31 spline axle to your old 28 spline, You will know why you changed. Your old 28 spline will never hold the bigger engine. If you have never broke an axle or lost a wheel at speed trust me you don't what too.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
ridetolivetroy,
I'm going to give you a piece of advice, not on which piece of equipment you put in your car but what you get when you finish installing all this equipment.
With a shift kit in the C6, your neck will be snapped every time it shifts at a slower speed. You can reduce that effect by turning the screw counter clockwise on the modulator about 4 turns though.
With 3:50 gears your going to hear the engine roar while cruising, and if you take it on the interstate, they do 80mph now just to stay with the flow.
I run a 3.50 Tru-Trac in my 57 Fairlane with 300 hp 390 engine. I can drag race it with big tires and I get 20mpg @70mph on the interstate turning 1900 rpm's. That's what I got going to Carlisle last weekend. But, I only did it because I have a Tremec TKO 600 transmission. I put a Jay Broader C6 in my 63 Galaxie. It's a beautiful operating transmission but I'm kicking myself in the rear every time I think about not converting that car to a Tremec. Jim

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.