Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran the 302 240Z for the first time Thursday night at Irwindale. Put it in Drive after a small burnout of the small BFG Drag Radials,cut a decent light but the tires spun so bad I let off a little and then got on it again. With auto shifts only about 4000RPM the car had a dismal 60 foot of 2.11 and ran 8.77/83MPH. Just before the end of the 1/8 mile, unknown to me,a freeze plug blew out and the car left a trail of water mixed with rust inhibitor at least an 1/8 mile long on the shut down area.Not sure what caused the plug to blow but another was about 1/2 way out.The plugs were standard depth installed with RTV. I have since installed deeper depth plugs using LockTite.Now if I can somehow LockTite the spider gears of the 4.11 open rear end then it will be ready for another trip to the track. The first pic is of the car about 1/2 track the second shows the trail of water.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
That Suck's !!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Darn!

What type of exhaust are you running? Looks like you've got a stock style single pipe. Maybe just for the sleeper look but not connected?

Did you get any fun reactions from people? I'd have loved to hear some of the talk about it. Especially after you start it up.

One day I'll have to try the 1/8th mile as long as I don't have to be there too early.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 289nate on 10/15/06 1:32am ]</font>

·
Registered
991 Posts
The number one reason to switch to screw in core plugs. Imagine what happens when one pops out at 130+mph and coats the rear tires

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Not good Jim.Hope it's not too bad. On the plugs i was told once not to use RTV on them,something to do with heat expansion or something with the silicon.. I don't know if you have it there but i use STAG .It is a red paste stuff that dries hard. Never had an issue,fingers crossed.
Brings back memories seeing the pics,been to that track,will do again soon.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
No bueno!!!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On 2006-10-14 10:31, 289nate wrote:
Darn!

What type of exhaust are you running? Looks like you've got a stock style single pipe. Maybe just for the sleeper look but not connected?

Did you get any fun reactions from people? I'd have loved to hear some of the talk about it. Especially after you start it up.

One day I'll have to try the 1/8th mile as long as I don't have to be there too early.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 289nate on 10/15/06 1:32am ]</font>
Hey Nate,you really need to leave earlier as Greg from Down Under has been to Irwindale but we're still waiting for you to show up.JK. The Datsun exhaust is made up of some 1 5/8" street rod headers to dual 2 1/2" bullet mufflers to a "Y" pipe to single 3" Super Turbo mounted in the stock location. It does kinda have a sleeper effect. Most people who have seen the car are surprised to see a Ford V8 as most 240Z swaps have the all too common SBC.

I have been using RTV to seal freeze plugs for years with no problems until now. Both my Morris and Falcon motors have years of passes at the track with no freeze plug issues.I would guess that very few people actually go to the trouble of tapping the block to install screw in plugs.Hopefully the deeper style plugs installed with red LockTite will hold.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Hey Nate,you really need to leave earlier as Greg from Down Under has been to Irwindale but we're still waiting for you to show up.JK. The Datsun exhaust is made up of some 1 5/8" street rod headers to dual 2 1/2" bullet mufflers to a "Y" pipe to single 3" Super Turbo mounted in the stock location. It does kinda have a sleeper effect. Most people who have seen the car are surprised to see a Ford V8 as most 240Z swaps have the all too common SBC.
Rub it in why don't ya!

I like the idea on the exhaust. Very sneaky!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On 2006-10-14 20:07, 289nate wrote:
Rub it in why don't ya!

I like the idea on the exhaust. Very sneaky!
Sorry Nate,I was just kiddin' ya.The exhaust is all mandrel bent so it should flow OK. I might make it out to FFW in Fontucky on Saturday the 21st. You going?

I'm thinking the freeze plugs may have been too small. The ones which came out of the motor check out at 1.499-1.502 diameter but the deeper type replacements checked out at 1.510 before installation. Maybe the diameter was reduced after being installed and removed but .010 seems like a big difference. The new ones required more effort to install than the original ones.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
No need to be sorry. I thought it was funny.

Saturday the 21st I don't know about. Thanks for the heads up though.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Yeah,had to get up pretty early that day..Was a bit of a trip. Had a great time.... First time i've ever seen a monster truck on the strip....

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haven't seen any monster trucks run the 1/8 mile but Jessie James races the figure 8's on the roundy round track and runs Monster Garage cars at Irwindale.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Jim on 10/18/06 12:11am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
It was good to see.Was an F150?? truck with blown ford big block.. Surprised me how quick it got going but did get a little loose on the track at speed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts