Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it was a great night for racing at the Atlanta Dragway, the sun was out all day on the track, by race time the temps were down in the upper 40's and went into the 30's before the night ended..Vinyl66 also recorded a new best as well..
My goal for sometime w/ the car has been to break into the 13's still using the stock 289 heads w/ 1.78/1.45 valves, well last night I finally hit that goal...I only need two runs to do it and called it a night and just enjoyed talking to folks and watching...

run 1

r/t .117
60' 2.113
330' 5.924
1/8 9.062
mph 78.80
1000' 11.761
1/4 14.033
mph 99.25

run 2

r/t .113
330 5.526
1/8 8.590
mph 80.73
1000' 11.235
1/4 **13.848**
mph 100.65

The absolute only changes to the car i made from previous best 14.208 @98.43 in Sept. was relocation of battery and the RAM AIR
install...I could not have asked for a better result, the car gained well over 3/10's and over 2 full mph....Yes i think the colder temps helped as well but I'm fully convinced of the effects a ram air set up can have. I fabbed up a cheap seal around the box to help keep that cold air inside and it seemed to work well.
I have to tell you my first pass was a little crazy after leaving the line good and hitting my 1-2 shift the center
steering wheel Mustang emblem popped right off the wheel and hit me in the chest, it scared the CRAP out of me, luckly i still hit 3rd ok but felt that run good have been even better..
My 2nd and only other run of the night i decided to go for broke and heated up my little 215/60/14 bfg drag radials real good... i wasn't going to play around, i don't know what my rpm's actually were at launch but i just floored it as soon as
the last yellow came on and fully dumped the clutch which i had never done before...appears to have worked though.
Just wanted to share my results and say anyone who says ram air doesn't do anything is full of b/s...
Thanks you guys for all your good advice and ideas, if I've learned anything this past year at the track it's that the car needs to be set up well first before just throwing a bunch of motor stuff to it. In May the car ran a 15.45 @91.8
w/ wheelhop, i worked out the suspension issues as 60's went from 3.1x's to under 2.113 last night.. during that time the only engine changes i did besides the ram air was putting on a electric fan and getting my leakage adjusted for WOT..
My winter project is to install the AFR 165's that are in our closet, I'm sure my wife will like a little more room in there.
Hopefully I'll be able to turn more than 5400 rpm as that's all she is good for now...Anyway that's it for this year's results..

1991 Honda Civic Si- daily driver
2002 Midnight Edition Ford Escape

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ga289stocker on 11/4/06 9:47pm ]</font>

·
Registered
168 Posts
That is great news,
Sounds like you have had an awesome journey getting the car where you want it. I belive you said you bought the Ram Air second hand so you probably didn't get the instructions/warnings. Not sure how many of them hold true but the manufacture says:
1. Don't run the car under 34F outside temp cause you could Ice the carb.
2. The manufacture says sealing the gap on the top of the box is not a good idea. They say it builds to much pressure at high speed and can create a dangerous lean condition when you get out the throttle.
3. Make sure you watch for air/fuel mixture lean conditions on the big end as well. You may need to jet up a little on the secondaries. I'm guessing you will have to anyway with the AFRs.

Great times and great looking car!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brdvpra; thanks for that info, i did not have any instructions as mentioned and had not heard any of that before...I'll make some adjustments before next year for sure .

1991 Honda Civic Si- daily driver
2002 Midnight Edition Ford Escape

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ga289stocker on 11/4/06 8:26pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
The ram air seemed to work pretty good. High 13's and 100+MPH are decent times for a 289.
With some better tires to improve the 60 foots 13.50s are possible.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Congratulations!...I can relate as I went from 14.80s to 13.70s with just tinkering and more track experience...My first 13.99 after many many 14 second passes was a real thrill...The funny part was that after struggling so hard and so long to get into the 13s once I made my first 13.99 pass I never ran slower than a high 13 again.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
That's great! Impressive results. What cam is in that 289?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On 2006-11-04 09:14, blkfrd wrote:
That's great! Impressive results. What cam is in that 289?
Well, to tell you the truth I wish I knew, my father and I put the motor in back in 1992 when I was 17...the only thing i remember is that it was a comp cam..i don't know any of the specs...sorry..

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Congratulations!

What was the 60ft on the last run? You were about .4 faster on the second run by the 330 ft. That would make me think it was quite a bit better than the first run. That's great!

Jim is absolutely right about 13.50s being very possible. However, I don't know how much longer you can wait before getting those 165's bolted on. I know I'm very curious to see how they'll do.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, my slip said i had a 1.74 60' but i'm sure that was not correct as the other guy i raced showed a 1.35 and ran a 12.66, i spoke to him later and he said that the 60' was messed up but his et and mph looked correct for what his car normal does..

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if you dipped into the 1.9s.

·
Registered
194 Posts
VERY NICE! THAT CAR IS SOOOO CLEAN!! good job at the track too! not much SNOW CONE action at the track though,huh. AFR's and 13.50's -go get 'em !!!

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
BRDVPRA,Icing the carb is true, I had to put a hood scoop on the ranchero to clear the carb and on a winter night after only 2 highway miles the car acted like it had a bad fuel pump, but after pulling over and running the motor for a few min. it cleared up. I gave it a good run and pulled over and quickly popped the hood , there was a thick frosting of ice all around the carb. simply blocking off the hood scoop cured it... mmmmm, frosting....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts