Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a 67 coupe...90/10's on front...
beefy 5.0...355's in the rear end ...posi...

runs 13's with no traction...
all over the place on take off....on both sides of the road...

shelby under rides...255x 16 inch tires...
Slid leaf springs forward...adjustable pinion snubber....

still no traction...

any ideas beside cal tracks and any traction bars would help.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Your shelby under rides have snubbers? Mine don't
Tire pressure
Battery to trunk
Remove front sawy bar
Feather it out of the hole
Try slicks or D/R
Just thoughts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
adlustable pinion snubber....isn't anything to do with a traction bar...

sway bar is gone....

battery to the rear is costly for the weight advantage gained...

by the way....the tires are 225 x 16 inch....sorry....
3500 stall...C 4 tranny...still goes up in smoke...

Should be a few shade tree mech's out there with a few suggestions on home remedy traction mods.

feathering loses tenths....need the hookup to chase a camaro stroked out 350...

·
Registered
738 Posts
Good luck in your endeavors!
My 60' droped drastically by not going up in smoke. loaded it up against the stall conv. and took it easy out of the hole. Helped

·
Registered
659 Posts
Move the battery, it helps. Does not cost that much.
Tires are not correct for fast 60 ft times i am afraid.
Can try lowering the tire pressure to say 16 lbs see if that helps.
Best tires would be a drag slick, i have the New MT ET radials and i can flat smoke them.
So you have to learn how to come out of the hole. How much to load the converter.
I heated up the et's put 2,000 into the stall let the transbrake go and floored it. The 66 brought its wheels up and took off to a 1.6 60 ft time.
7.56 1/8 mile.
I can flat over power the tires still.
Like you i am having to find how much i can get into it and not loose traction.
I am going to save my money and get me a set of wrinkle walls as big as i can stick under the 66 next.

1966 Stang Coupe Org. 6 cyl. 351w,Sealed Power Hypers, ARP bolts,Total Seal rings,Eagle H-beams rods,Balanced,Hedman long tubes, TMD 2.05/1.60 Vic Jr Knockoffs, 1.6 Stainless steel Roller Rockers, Victor Jr intake, Holley 750 DP, Ed Nix Custom .600/.600 254/258 @.050 Solid Cam, Crane solid roller lifters,Richmond 4.11, Strange mini spool, Modified C4, 3500 stall, ******* Transbrake, B&M Hammer shifter, Shelby lowered, Pro-Comp 6Al system. Mickey Thompson 275/50 Et Street Drag radials.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: forthman on 5/25/06 4:46pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess the best way to lose the up in smoke take off would be to de-tune my torque....like a power curve...advancing as I accellerate.
That may be possible ( to an extent ) thru carb tunning. I would lose my instant throttle response that I now have, but gain the few 10th by not frying the tires off on the line. Same as feathering except it would produce a more consistant et....sort of matching my torque to my
suspension and drive line.
And stickier tires would help.

Too much torque, So little traction !

Thanks all ! For your ideas and your own experiences in this traction matter....I will start with the carb tuning first and go from there, knowing that if I switch tires....I will have to re-tune that carb to match their performance...I will try to tune to what I have on now and see if it can give me a few lower et times. Till then...I will be chasing that Camaro...
Elmo

·
Registered
123 Posts
Either make sure the traction bars and snubber are adjusted for max effectiveness or just junk it all ant put in caltracs. John Calvert's 68.5 428CJ stands on the rear liscence plate when it launches...is that enought traction?

Most guys I know never bother to adjust up their traction bars so the do anything

1 - 8 of 8 Posts