Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not had the need to trade or sell anything over the internet or via a forum yet. Does anyone have some advice on how to do an exchange without being short changed on either end of the deal? Is there anything I should watch out for?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Yes I sell and buy on ebay all the time, some good deals and some nuts out there. If you are selling on ebay , ebay does not allow you to sell post money order in your script. You have to have paypal which sucks. When and if a person sends you a note or email asking about your item you can tell them they can send you a post office money order. I have never had one come back on me yet and I always pay that way. You got a receit and see tracking number to know where your items is on the road coming or going.

It is best to sell on creigs list. There are just as many nuts on there as well. It is free and alot looks at that site. When you sell always meet the person at a local store or a place in mind. Always get cash, nothing else. Never allow them to goto your house for as stated...NUTS . If ya need anything else I will do my best to answer truefully.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If you decide to sell on ebay there is many ways to post your items , know what the least ya take for the item and place a reserve on it at that price so you donot have to sell if your buying price is not met. You can also place a buy it now on your item as people bid along for a fast sale. You can also place a item without a reserve and buy it now but be careful. With no reserve and say you got a $3000 item you are selling and it is coming to a end and bid is 900 you will have to sell it. If you remove the sale you can get kicked off ebay and they keep great records on where you live so hard to come back. If such should happen remember you have 24 hours before the end you can remove the item so you will not loose money. If you are selling get money in hand BEFORE you send your item. After you get ya money please send that person his item you sold. I always pay same or next day , same with selling, I send item off as soon as I get my money. law of the land, you donot like being screwed, donot screw another, simple. Like I said, sell on creigs list. Need anything else just ask.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good info thanks. Always thought there was this strange dance between "you send your first. NO you send yours first." process. I almost bought a car from a craig's list post but the guy wouldn't tell me where he was. I told him I would just come to him with a trailer and pay him then if he would hold it until I got there. Whole thing was too shady. I would travel half way across US for a car but I doubt I would for a $300 part. However, I still can not afford to get shorted for $300. Thanks for feedback

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
good info thanks. Always thought there was this strange dance between "you send your first. NO you send yours first." process. I almost bought a car from a craig's list post but the guy wouldn't tell me where he was. I told him I would just come to him with a trailer and pay him then if he would hold it until I got there. Whole thing was too shady. I would travel half way across US for a car but I doubt I would for a $300 part. However, I still can not afford to get shorted for $300. Thanks for feedback
If you are buying and won the item in question.....You send a note to the seller requesting a total with shipping added to the total. He in turn will send you a total for your item along with mail address where to send payment. Opon that you send payment . They receive their money in whatever form you have, before bidding made arrangment, then your item is shipped to you. It all is in trust between 2 people. Now I have bought, paid and never got the item. In that case you send a complaint to ebay and they will send to that seller a time limit for them to ship your item or get a strike or removed from selling in future. Always when you buy keep a eye on their feed back, it tells what kind of person they are . There is always a chance you pay and get screwed. If the item is way up on money you should pick it up yaself with cash when you get there or look at the item before you bid. Now if the item is states away you want that item , say a car. You spend that kind of money get all the pictures ya can, study the buy well and if you like it and have the money buy it. You most times have to send a bank transfur or before buying made arrangments again before bidding. Then carry cash and go get the car. I just bought a $6000.00 427 in Penn state. Took me 11 hours to make the trip but I aggreed for man to remove the motor from ebay , he didso. I went and paid the man, loaded motor and returned. All about truesting your fellow ebayer .

If you are the seller....Same as above but in reverse. You are the person who has the power on how you wish your money . Seller has the advantage always. He keeps the item and as well have your money, up to you to give what a person has paid for. If you take a persons money no matter if it is a dollar shame on you. Like sneaking in his pocket and stealing, always be honest and you will have good feed back from others.

There is always some confussing in anything, have to learn your way around anything, for instants....

I sold a 871 hampton blower, intake, carbs, restraints to a man in Kansas. He had a trucking company and wished to parcial trade me a item for the blower. Was a narrowed chrome dragster rear housing , tires and rims and 1500 for the blower, I agreed. I got the housing . I sent the blower in one box, carbs restraints and intake in another. I placed 1500 insurance on each box sent and shipped both boxes. Deal done...I thought. I got a call from him stating blower had been dropped, box busted and he returnned the blower for it had a 13 inch long gash cut deep into it. I said not worry I had insurance. Ups sent me a note to go deal with the item , it was shipped back to me, not him. They would not allow me to see the blower till I agreed to take 1000 and blower back. I didnot agree for didnot know how bad cut was nor cost of repair. Ups finally came off 1500 and let me keep the blower if I signed papers before seeing the blower. I agreed and when I saw blower, no damage at all. I then knew why he was fussing cause ups sent me the blower after doing their research on item damaged. He wanted the insurance money as well the blower. Now I had the blower, no scratch at all, his dragster housing, his first 1500 payment , I was set big time.

I made a box out of 3/4 plywood, placed a pillow inside, set the blower on pillow, placed another pillow on blower. Packed blankets around the blower and put top on. I nailed all 1 inch apart with my air gun so it would make a safe trip and he would work to get it out . I took the check back to ups and stated if they shipped for free I would return the check dishonest back to them. They gave me a man , must been to top of ups and informed me to place the lady on phone that where I shipped with first time. She hung up and stated to me ups directed her to ship the item at their cost, return a check to ups for 1000 and write me another check for 500 for my troubles. Sounded good to me.I called the man and stated the blower was undamaged and was on its way to him a second time. I said he didnot look at blower , saw box busted and sent it back . He had told me about a 13 inch cut, was trying to screw someone but it bite him back. I should of made him pay for shipping before sending but I am not like that, just wanted the deal done . See honesty got me another 500. Sorry for long post, just trying to make you aware of people and ebay.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
I would rate Craigslist a little better than ebay, especially for bulky items. You have to be more patient, though, the liquidity is not as good. If you do business there, as a seller get cash. You don't really need a receipt.

As a buyer, DO get an itemized receipt. When you are close to a price, pull out a piece of paper and start listing all the items and claims, eg:

Bill of sale: On xdate, for $500, XX sold to XX:

Ford 428 block cored .060, soniced ok
Ebelbrock Performer RPM, good cond
1965 AM radio, working

Signatures and Drivers lic numbers

If both of you agree as you write it down it will help both sides stay honest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts